Sunday, January 13, 2013

Tiggers and Christians

     I love children's stories.  Once when my son was about 13 or so,  my husband and I were watching one of the original Winnie the Pooh movies.  Aaron grumpily declared that we were the only grown ups he knew that like little kids' stuff.  Of course, Robert and I were undaunted.  We kept on watching. I am thankful that we (Robert and I) do have that in common with one another.
     I do particularly like the stories from A. A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh adventures and even from the early Disney stories.  I say that about Disney because the characters of Rabbit, Owl and Gopher were added in the Disney films.  They were not part of Christopher Robin's stuffed toys; yet I really like their characters too. 
      I think there are many spritual applications that can be learned from children's stories.  The Pooh tales are not the only ones I love, but I must admit that Pooh, Piglet, Tigger and all the friends in The Hundred Acre Wood have helped me learn some valuable lessons about friendship, unconditional love and working together. 
     So when I read I Corinthians 15:58, I never fail to think about Tigger.  You may find that amusing - but I just can't help it, that's what pops into my mind.  It's probably only because the words "bounce" and "abounding" sound so much alike to me.  But the connection helps make this verse real to me.  Let's look at the verse:  "Therefore my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."
     OK -- so think about it.  What does Tigger do best?  He bounces!  I read this verse and I think about Tigger bouncing around and being so excited about his bouncing.  And then I think about what Christians do best - or what should they do best.  And what is that?  The work of the Lord, of course!!!  We are supposed to "always abound in the work of the Lord!"  And so when I think about this verse, I think about how when some work of the Lord is presented -- that we should jump up and say--"Oh, me - let me do that! I want to help!  I can do this for the Lord!
     You see the Lord does need workers in His kingdom.  He needs us all --every one of us!  That is the wonderful about it.  The Lord didn't leave any of us out!  There is always something for us to do.  We can all play a part --sometimes we just have to figure out what our part is.  But there is always, always something we can do for His Kingdom ... and the Lord will bless us abundantly as we abound in His work.  That promise is in the very same verse --for our labour will not be in vain. 
     So bounce on up to the challenge.  Be stedfast in your faith.  Don't let anything or anyone move you from your place with Him.  And then remember -- the work of the Lord is what Christians do best!

Christ above all things,
Robin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment