Sunday, January 27, 2013

Friendship God's way

     It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon in Nashville, TN.  There was a little rain from time to time but that didn't keep the day from being beautiful.  It was my niece, Kelsie's wedding day - a special day for many people.  Kelsie was the first child, the first grandchild on one side of the family and first granddaughter on the other.  That is not to say that our younger children are loved any less (or more) -- it is only to say she was the first one of her family to be "leaving the nest," so to speak.  She was marrying a fine Christian man whose family is also  very close, loving and supportive.  So it was no surprise that the wedding focused on family and the long legacy the wedding couple had.  The legacy of parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles who had faithfully served the Lord for many years.  I have never been to a wedding quite like this one -- but it speaks to the character that was instilled in both of these young people. 
     The wedding ceremony was over and the reception was coming to an end.  The newly married couple were preparing to leave.  The father of the bride, my brother Todd, had done a wonderful job of overseeing the reception.  He led a beautiful prayer before we all started through the food line, and he held up very well throughout all the festivities.  But now - now his daughter was leaving, as a married woman.  His little girl was grown.  And although she had married a man that Todd fully approved of --I could tell the emotions of the moment were finally catching up with him. 
     In just a few minutes she would be getting in that car -- and things would change.  Of course, she would still be his daughter - still seek his advice -- still love him with all his heart.  And he would continue to be there for her -- to be her father -- to give that advice and offer help whenever he could.  But their relationship would enter a different stage.  It wasn't that Todd was crying -- not in the least.  He was still wearing that same smile he had worn all afternoon, but there was something in his eyes. I don't think many people noticed the emotions that had started swirling around in his head.  And he might not ever admit to me that they were there -- but as his big sister, I noticed. 
     As Kelsie and Chase were getting into the car, I was trying to make my way through the crowd to stand beside my brother.  I just wanted to be there for him.  But I didn't quite make it.  Thankfully, I wasn't the only person that noticed -- or perhaps this other person just knew Todd well enough to sense what he might have been feeling.  His best friend was right there beside him and at just the exact right moment, perfect (and I believe providential)timing,  this best friend moved even closer to Todd and whispered something in his ear.  I will probably never know what Stephen said.  I do know whatever it was - it was just the right thing.  Todd laughed and with that laugh a mixed up bag of emotions was released.  I could see that in his eyes too.  I could hear it in his laugh.  I knew my brother would be OK. 
       In that moment I found myself praising and thanking God - not for the beauty of the day or for the beginning of a new Christian family; not at that moment.  No, I was thanking God for giving Todd a friend like Stephen.  I was so thankful to know that my brother had that relationship with that particular person.  I prayed, "God bless Stepehn."  You see friends sustain us - give us strength.  Friends are often used by God to comfort us. I believe God gives friends that perfect sense of timing - of knowing just where to be -- just what to say - just when to say it. 
       Yes, we have families and I know our families hold a special place in our lives.  Todd holds a special place in mine.  God instituted the family from the beginning of creation.  I am eternally grateful for my family.  They have carried me through some pretty tough times in my life.  However, Todd lives in Nashville and I live in Mississippi.  We can't always be there for each other. 
      Thankfully, God gives us friends.  I believe our Heavenly Father wants us to have friends and to be friends to others.   The scriptures speak of the importance of friendships.  We all remember the special friendship of Jonathan and David.  Jonathan loved David and very literally saved his friend's life.  Years later, David remembered his pledge to his friend and took in Jonathan's son, Mephibosheth.  Consider also the four friends of the man who was sick of the palsy.  Those men dropped their lame friend through the roof so that he would be placed right in front of Jesus to be healed.  What great effort they put forth for their friend. 
     Proverbs 17:17 - "A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." 
      Proverbs 18:24 - "A man that has friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."
      Proverbs 27:9 --"Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so does the sweetness of a man's friend with hearty counsel."
      We cannot forget the friendship of Jesus with Mary, Martha and Lazarus. They were special friends of Jesus.  These three knew Jesus well.  Friendship sustained our Savior, too.  I have no doubt in my mind that God meant for us to have friendships.  Hopefully, we have chosen friends that will help us get to heaven.  Think about the friendships the early Christians must have developed with one another as they met from house to house daily with gladness and singleness of heart.  Can you just imagine the incredible bond they must have had with one another?  
      Finally, as we read through John 15, we begin to realize just how important friendship is.  As a matter of fact - for our salvation, friendship is an absolute necessity.  John 15:12- 15 - "This is my commandment, That ye love one another as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  Ye are my freinds, if ye do whatsoever I command you.  Henceforth, I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."
     Now I ask you, what kind of friend are you?  Do you allow God to use you in your friendships with others?  Can Christ call you His friend?  He laid down His life for you.  Do you love Him enough to keep His commandments?

Jesus really would love to be your friend!

Christ above all things,
Robin

















1 comment:

  1. You might like this
    http://dhakehurst.wordpress.com/2014/10/26/friendship-gods-way/

    ReplyDelete