Friday, January 4, 2013

In the Right Place!

     I love children; children of all ages.  They are so open and honest and say some of the cutest, funniest things.  And they offer little gestures of love that become embedded in your memory and you treasure in your heart forever!  As a mom and teacher of pre-school children in Bible class, I remember many of the things little children have said over the years.  I keep them tucked away in the corners of my heart.  And over time, I have come to realize they can teach me as much as I could ever teach them - as long as I keep my ears and heart open to what they are saying.
     Once when my niece Khloe was only about 3 or 4 she woke up in the middle of the night and ended up in the doorway of her parents' bedroom.  As she stood there for several seconds before  deciding to go into the room, my brother and his wife decided to pretend they were asleep.  It was dark, and they were being very quiet.  Maybe they hoped she would go on back to bed -- I'm not sure.  At any rate, they were curious to see what she was up to.  She was not crying, so they were pretty sure she wasn't sick or frightened.  They decided to wait her out. 
         Well, it seemed that Khloe had no desire to wake them up because she also remained very quiet.  She entered the room ever so slowly - step by step.  When she finally reached the foot of her parents' bed, she reached out and grabbed her Mom's foot in one hand and her Dad's foot in the other.  Not being able to resist any longer, they finally asked her what she was doing.  Khloe's answer made perfect sense to her young mind.  "I just wanted to make sure you were in the right place."  That has been one of those stories kept alive in our family and has always brought a chuckle or two as we remember!
     Now stop and think about this little story and how important it is.  Young children need stability.  They need routine --perhaps even to the point of knowing which side of the bed Mom or Dad sleeps on.  They need to know their parents will be there for them anytime day or night.  It gives them a sense of security and comfort.  They need boundaries, guidelines - love.  I am not saying something new.  We all know this.  One of the greatest gifts a parent can give a child is this sense of security -- of being able to know Mom and Dad will always be in the right place.

       Even more important for our children though is whether or not we are in the right place spiritually.  Helping them get to the right place - heaven -- THAT is the most important gift we can give our children.  How do we know where that is?  How do we know how to get there?  Well, God's Word can guide you there.  Don't just read it --STUDY it with an open heart and mind.  Know what it says - follow its guidelines and you will find the way.  Jesus says "I am the way, the truth and the life.  No man cometh to the Father except by me."  John 14:6.  He also says in John 10:9 -"I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out and find pasture."
So to get to the right place - we have to go through the right door - Jesus.  And how do you get through --?? Well, Jesus tells us that, too - go back to John 14 and look at v. 15.  "If  ye love me, keep my commandments." 
   And just as Khloe found great comfort in knowing where her parents were -- we can take great comfort in knowing where to find our Father.  He is there waiting for us to find Him.  He watches us with as much love and joy as my brother and sister-in-law watched their little girl come to them.  And when we do come to Him - there is much rejoicing in heaven. 
    Sooooo -- are you in the right place?  Think about it.

Christ above all things,
Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment