Sunday, January 6, 2013

"My Name is not Thou""

     Those of you who know me well, will probably know the story I am about to tell but I suppose that's OK.  It's one of my favorite stories.  So here goes.  ... The first year that I went back to Maywood Christian Camp as an adult was 1992.  My son, Alex was only 5 and I fully intended to keep him with me whereever they put me that year.  But Tony Brown, who was co-director of our week at the time, tried to convince me to let Alex stay in a cabin with other boys up on the boys' hill.  Naturally, I was very hesitant to do this because -- well he was only five.  How could a five year old possibly take care of himself up on that hill all alone?  Tony patiently reminded me that he had some very capable male counselors in place up there.   But all the other boys in his cabin were going to be 7 or 8 --he would be at least two years younger than everyone else.  Well, Tony told me - "let him try it one night, and if he doesn't like it -or doesn't do well - then we will figure something else out."  Well - that was all she wrote.  After I went up to his cabin and helped him make up his bed,  I didn't see Alex again the rest of the week!  He was so independent that he didn't want anyone to know he was there with his Mama. 
     But that's not the point of this story.  I say all this to set the background for the real story.  The next morning at Bible class time - I just happened to walk by the station where Alex's Bible class was meeting.  I heard him tell his Bible class teachers rather emphatically that "He didn't know why they thought he could learn memory verses because he couldn't even read anyway!"  And as I looked over - he was sitting there with his arms crossed and a very determined look on his young face.  Well,  thank God for dedicated Bible class teachers!  Little did Alex know that he had some very determined (yet patient) teachers.  And they worked with him all week until he learned the 10 commandments.  Those young men worked wonders with those little boys.  Such are the blessings of camp.
     A few weeks later we are back home and it is the week of our gospel meeting.  One night after service, Alex catches a butterfly and brings it to me to see -- then rushes on by as he is playing with some of the other children there.  On the way home that night, I told Alex that I really hoped he let the butterfly go before it got so weak from being handled that it might die.  Alex said, "Oh you don't have to worry about that, I took care of it.  I killed it."  Now remember folks, he was only five.  Nonetheless, I was upset with him and began to lecture him on how that butterfly was one of God's beautiful creatures and that he shouldn't have done that.  Then I asked him if he remembered anything he had learned at camp.
     "What, " he said, "thou shalt not kill?" 
     "Yes, exactly - thou shalt not kill?"
     Very innocently, and yet very nonchalantly he said "Well, my name's not thou."
I still laugh when I remember that story. 

     But how often do you think we, as adults, tell God that.  --You know my name's not thou.  Yes, God I know you said to do this --but surely you didn't mean that for me.  That commandment is for everybody else --but you didn't mean me.  Lord when you say don't gossip --well, that's not what I'm doing - I am just sharing information.  When you said in Hebrews 10:25 not to forsake the assembling of yourselves together...well you didn't mean me.  I don't need to go to church all the time.  Or how about that one that says "Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.? Ephesians 4:32 
      There are so many others -- am I leaving anyone of Christ's commandments out?  I am not five.  I am an adult.  I can read and understand and I know when it comes to Christ commandments --my name IS thou or you.  When Christ says "If you love me, keep my commandments;" John 14:15. - I know he means me and you.  And I know he means not just part of his commandments --not just the ones that are convenient for me --but all of them. 
     Christ promises that we can follow His commandments.  Listen to His words in Matthew 11:28 - 30.  "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavyladen, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me: for I am meek and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Now considering this beautiful promise --what's your name?  Could it be thou?  Think about it.

Christ above all things,
Robin

       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment