Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"Do You Have the Time?"

     Tonight I would like to share another poem I wrote a few years ago.  It deals with how our time is spent and that it is important to spend time with our family while we can.  It also speaks to the need for everyone of us be loving, kind and Christ-like ALL the time and no matter we are or what kind of situation we find ourselves in. 

Do You Have the Time?
I had just pushed my cart to the check out line,
(I was in a hurry and running behind)
when I heard him ask "Pardon me, do you have the time?"
"I really don’t," is what I wanted to say.
I didn’t even want to turn and look that way –
I’d had enough interruptions for one day.
There are things I almost said
as all kinds of thoughts ran through my head;
but I took a deep breath and turned around instead.
His hair was gray – his eyes a pale blue.
He smiled and said, "I really hate to bother you,
I know you must have a lot to do;
but today I have an important date
and for this, I can’t be late.
Some things, you know, just won’t wait.
I have a little grandson, you see.
Today’s his birthday – he’s turning three;
and well, I have to be there -he’s counting on me.
Times with our little ones sure don’t last.
Children just grow up way too fast.
I must enjoy this while I can; before our time’s passed."
I looked at my watch and gave him the time;
and then a single thought came to my mind.
I smiled and said, "Please, sir take my place in line.
The things on my list will eventually get done
and I know a child only turns three once;
so go on now and be with your grandson."
He said, "What you are doing is kind indeed.
To others this might seem like such a little thing;
but it sure does mean the world to me!
I won’t forget this anytime soon.
When I pray tonight, I’ll ask God to remember you-
the lady who lives by the Golden Rule."
Suddenly, my heart felt so happy and light
and when I got home later that night
I hugged my family and squeezed them tight.
I didn’t feel tired or even one bit stressed.
Actually, I felt quite truly blessed
and I got such a good night’s rest!
Now God numbers our days, but they go so fast.
Our moments on earth are short--they don’t last.
So make good your days – before they have passed.
Brothers and sisters, please take the time
to love others and be good and kind.
We must always remember to let our lights shine!


Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment