Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Does it stand for "Jesus Love Me?"

     A couple of years ago, my Mom gave me a necklace with two beautiful pink beads on it and a charm that was a musical note.  This was in honor of the ladies' retreat whose theme had been "Happy Am I" from the song of the same name.  That Sunday morning after the retreat I was wearing the necklace when I picked up one of my little 3 year old Bible students to give him a hug. 
     He noticed my necklace almost immediately and he said, "Ms. Robin - you have music on your necklace." 
     "Well, yes I do."
     "Does it stand for Jesus Loves Me?"  Well at that moment with that sweet innocent child in my eyes that is EXACTLY what that "music" stood for. So I told him "Yes. It sure does!" 
    Have you ever wondered why that song is so special for little children?  I am not a child psychologist, but I am sure we could share some very profound thoughts about this.  And actually there are probably many reasons.  But I think perhaps one reason is that at two or three years old - they are beginning to discover there actually is a "me."  They are starting realize that they are an individual and not an extension of their parents.  They are a person in their own right.  That becomes powerful knowledge for them and may also be one reason why one of their favorite words around that age is "no."  :)  So to think that Jesus loves "me" --because that's a favorite word or thought at that age too - me... is a special thing. 
     Also - of course - there is great security in knowing they are loved.  Children need to feel that love.  I have heard stories - and actually experienced it once myself -- of a child in distress over something calming down almost instantly when someone sings "Jesus Loves Me" to them. 
     As adults - we should never forget how special it is that Jesus loves us.  We get so busy sometimes we don't think about the fact that the love of Jesus is a precious gift and should never be taken lightly. 
     Soooo - I want to ask you then,  what do you stand for?  Is it anything remotely to do with Jesus' love?  If we stand for Jesus Loves Me - then we realize that He does love us, (me) as an individual.  Jesus' love gives me worth.  And as I realize this -- then my own self worth increases in my eyes.  I mean - honestly what better way to build your own self esteem than to meditate on the fact that Jesus loves you so much he died for you?  Knowing this - then we can realize that He not only loves us - but He loves the whole world. 
     As we learn to love ourselves (because Jesus love us) --THEN we can love others as Jesus would have us to love others.  Remember the second commandment - "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself?"  Well how on earth can you do that unless you stand for Jesus Loves Me?   If we begin to stand for Jesus' love - we show that love to others and .....God is glorified. 
     With the love of God and Jesus in our hearts, we are able to begin to see others as Jesus and God see them --with love.  If we look at others with love - how much kinder would we be?  How many more times would we share the gospel with someone?  How much more quickly would we be willing to forgive others?  When I begin to realize that Jesus died for the woman checking me out at the grocery store just like He died for me -- does it change my way of thinking about that woman...about the world?  Does it change the way I ACT toward these folks I meet every day?
     Really now, what do you stand for? 

Christ above all things,
Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment