Saturday, April 6, 2013

You Really Can Come Home Again

     I had planned to write about something else tonight but as often happens, I changed my mind before I sat down to start. Are you familiar with the song, "Lord, I'm Coming Home?"  I've been thinking about this song for at least a couple of weeks, if not longer.  I'm not really sure why, it just keeps coming to mind.  Then it was our invitation song Wednesday night and after that - well, I really couldn't stop thinking about it.  So maybe this post will help me get it out of my system.
     Many folks probably never wander from God after they become a Christian; but many of us have. Sadly, there was a point in my life when I walked away from God.  If you've known me for a really long time, then you already know this.  That was around 30 years ago.  And since I "came home"  I have continued to strive to grow and mature as a Christian.  I pray I have truly learned enough to stay strong.  This is why we are cautioned again and again throughout the Bible to be watchful, strong - vigilant.  So that we won't slip away.  
     Perhaps having "been away" and come back home myself is why I love this song.  I really think the words are just beautiful. 
Here are the verses first:
      I've wandered far away from God - Now I'm coming home.
      The paths of sin too long I've trod, Lord, I'm coming home.
 The scriptural reference in our song book is the Parable of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15.  I don't know the history of the song, but I can only imagine that Mr. Kirkpatrick may have been thinking about the same story. The prodigal son had gone to a far country; but really anytime we sin we are in a "far country" because we are no longer living in the presence of God.  We have chosen to do without Him in our lives.
      I've wasted many precious years, Now I'm coming home.
      I now repent with bitter tears, Lord, I'm coming home.
When someone realizes their sin there is godly sorrow; repentance that comes from deep within - just as in the case of prodigal.  
    I've tired of sin and straying Lord, Now, I'm coming home.
    I'll trust Thy love, believe Thy word, Lord, I'm coming home.
The person who repents is truly tired; their spirits are weary.  Their failures have worn them down.  They realize that the Christian life is the best life.  After repenting in bitter tears - they are ready to trust God again.  They are willing to believe His word.  The believing here implies a willingness to obey the Word - to do the Lord's will.  
      My soul is sick, my heart is sore, Now, I'm coming home.
      My strength renew, my hope restore, Lord, I'm coming home.
The decision is now fully made to come home.  The sinner is coming to the "Great Physician" for healing of his soul and for cleansing of his heart.  Christ will renew his strength and truly restore his hope - for our only hope is in Him - the Son of God - our Great Redeemer.  
     In the chorus - the sinner declares that he is coming home - never more to roam and he (or she) begs God to "open wide Thine arms of love."  And our God - our good and gracious God promises to do just that.  Remember the story of the prodigal in Luke 15. The Father does not go get the son; but he waits and everyday he watches for the son to come back to him.  And when he does he runs to him, falls on his neck and kisses him.  Our Heavenly Father really does watch and wait for us.  God does not want anyone to perish.  
     Here it is folks - we all stray from time to time.  We are not perfect - we all sin.  We may not stray so far off the path that we completely walk away -- but we do stumble and fall.  But God is always there --ALWAYS -- waiting for us to realize our sin, repent and "come back home."  Our spiritual home on earth is the church.  That's is where the other daughters and sons of God are.  We come home to our spiritual family; the family of God. That's why when we come back to Him- we are coming home - to His kingdom-His church.  We do that so that we can finally make it to our heavenly home. 
     I don't post this tonight to emphasize our sin.  Instead I  post this to emphasize the love of God.  It doesn't matter what we've done to stray or how long we've been gone.  It doesn't matter if we have simply had a little setback or stepped further and further away over time.  God's word says He will take you back -- if you come back.  He will joyfully welcome you back into the fold.  He will forgive you and restore your heart.  He will open His loving arms wide and receive you with grace, mercy and love.  Yes, my friends - you really can come home again!

Christ above all things,
Robin
     


     

No comments:

Post a Comment