Thursday, April 4, 2013

Give a Little Extra

          
         This is probably the first time I have ever posted a blog in the morning instead of at night.  I started last night's post but didn't get very far at all.  I wasn't feeling well, so I opted for a little extra rest.  I had a great night at Bible study last night, though.  The two and three year old children were in rare form.  They had the giggles at first - but we did get through a short lesson.  I read a book about sharing to them.  They were very quite for me while I read the book and discussed all the different ways we could share - food, toys, smiles, secrets -- time -- Grandma's lap  and love.  Each time we turned the page - they would look at the picture and ask, "What are they doing? How are they sharing?"  It was a lovely little lesson for all of us.  
Children love to be read to.  
          Between class and devotional time another little child came and sat with me for a few minutes.  He is a precious young man - five years old and in kindergarten.   He is a very sweet and loving child.  We talked and hugged and he even climbed up him in my lap for a couple of minutes before he went to sit with his mom.  That little bit of extra loving did me a world of good last night!  Then I felt doubly blessed when my own teenage son came and sat by me for the devotional period.  Being a teenager, I can't tell you how long it has been since he chose to sit with me!!  I think it must have been my night all the way around.  
          Well, I say all this to say that everyone needs a little extra love now and then.  And it costs absolutely nothing to give.  This is something that everyone can do in some way.  All that extra attention I got last night was such a blessing!  Of course, I was giving my little friend that extra love too.  Giving is even better than receiving.  We are blessed so much when we give of ourselves!!!  God says this in His Word and it is ever so true.  This is the same principle that Jesus taught in his Sermon on the Mount.  You remember,  the extra mile principle.  If some one asks you to go a mile with him -- go two.  Show that extra love and goodness.  
          Knowing how much I enjoyed the extra time with my young friend reminded me how important it is to do the same for others.  There is someone - practically anyone - in your congregation that could use a little extra blessing or encouragement - or hug - or what it boils down to is love.  And guess what folks, this is a commandment.  This is what Jesus is talking about in the gospel of John when He says "Love one another as I have loved you."  
          So Sunday morning after worship service - (you will be there, won't you?) -- look around - find someone to give a little extra love to -- maybe it will be a widow or widower who has missed their spouse for years now -- but yet remains very faithful to the Lord no matter what.  Tell them what an encouragement they are to you!  Or maybe it will be that young mother who came to services alone with her children because her husband is not there for one reason or another (work or not faithful or sick that day or whatever).  Or maybe it will be a little child who is part of your bus ministry -- or maybe -- maybe you will choose to go to one of your elders or deacons and thank them for their service to the family of God.  Or maybe it will be a teenager who needs some encouragement.  These people need your little extra.  You know how good it feels when someone notices you and gives you some extra attention -- well pass it on.  Do the same for someone else!  You will be doubly blessed.
          Just imagine how wonderful everyone in your congregation would feel if everyone received a little extra that day!!  I know one person can't get around to everyone -- but surely one person (you) can get around to someone.  And i know that not all people are huggers like I am.  But you can shake hands, smile - give a kind word - spend a little extra time with some one.  A small pat on the back or squeeze of the hand can do wonders!  Please try it  -- use this principle in your every day life -- and then especially use it when you are assembled with your congregational family.  This is what Christ commanded.  This is what he meant when He said - "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples - that you love one another."   I guarantee that if you try this -- you will be richly rewarded!

Make someone's day -- give a little extra love!  The truth is - we can all use a little extra kindness and love!!

Christ above all things,
Robin
          

No comments:

Post a Comment