Thursday, April 18, 2013

Jesus Stilled the Storm

       It is raining pretty hard outside.  I am sitting here listening to it fall.  I can hear the wind blowing through the trees and the rain as it falls to the ground.  It is supposed to storm throughout the night.  There are tornado watches out for this area.  I certainly hope the storms don't get as bad as the forecast says they could be.  As I listen to the rain, my thoughts turn to Jesus when He stilled the storm.  Our God is an awesome God and Jesus is His Son!  Watching Jesus as he calmed the storm must have been an amazing experience.  Wow!  Can you imagine? 
       The stilling of the storm is recorded in three of the four gospel accounts.  They are found in Matthew 8:23-27, Mark 4:35-41, and Luke 8:22-25.  Each account contains slightly different details; but it is easily seen that all three writers are recording the same event.  All three accounts say that Jesus wanted to go to the "other side of the lake."  All three tell us that previously He had been teaching the people.  All three accounts say Jesus had fallen asleep in the ship and a storm arose.  Matthew calls it a "great tempest." Mark calls it a "great storm of wind."  Mark and Luke record that the ship was full of water.  Jesus was in the boat, sleeping through it all.  The disciples were afraid.  The storm was bad and as Luke says, they were "in jeopardy."  I would have been afraid too.  Being on a boat out in the water during a storm can be very dangerous. 
       I think the disciples did what most anybody would have done.  They woke their Master up.  I am not sure what they expected after that.  I know they were frightened and they wanted Him to know how much danger there was.  They had seen Jesus perform other miracles.  I think they expected Jesus to do something to save them.  Yet they were all amazed when he rebuked the wind and the sea and said, "Peace, be still." 
       Jesus asked them why they were so fearful.  It is pretty clear that He was  disappointed in them for not having enough faith to know He would keep them safe.  After all they had seen Him perform other miracles.  They had heard Him teach about God.  Why on earth couldn't they understand that He was not going to let them come to harm? 
        Yet when Jesus asked His followers this question, they did not argue with Him or try to defend themselves.  Rather, they were afraid - Mark says they feared exceedingly - Matthew says they marvelled.  All three accounts record that they said one to another, "What manner of man is this, that even the winds and sea obey Him?"  I can imagine that I would have marvelled myself and perhaps have even been afraid.  He had saved them, yes -- but what great power He used when he calmed the wind and the sea!  He was the Son of God.  He showed His mastery over nature.  That was no small thing.  It was incredible to them.  Yet, if they continued to follow Him this was not all that they would be witness to. 
      I remember being a helper during a Vacation Bible School once and the teacher was telling this story.  Her voice as she described the storm - her enthusiasm as she detailed the events -- her exclamation that "this really happened" brought the story to life for those Bible students.  We can believe the Bible.  It is an amazing book.  The events that are recorded in it are real.  Every miracle recorded in the Bible -- every great event -- all of this really happened. 
      I am thankful that we can read God's Word and learn about our Heavenly Father and His Son.  I am thankful for God's blessings in my life.  And because I know that our Lord has such great power -- and that God has made Him King of Kings -- and I understand the great love He has for Me; then I can rest in the thought that He truly cares for me too.  If I understand that He has the power to still the storms of nature, then I understand that when the storms of life are raging around me Jesus has the power to still those storms too.  He can give me the inner peace and strength I need to weather the winds and the rains of my life -- even the tornados of my emotions due to events that have turned my world upside down.  Jesus is with me as long as I am walking in the light.  He will take care of me.  He will protect me from the storms of life - as long as I have faith in Him.   
      Thank you God, for sending your Son Jesus to save the world.  Thank you for giving Him the power to still the storm all those years ago.  Thank you for having that event recorded in your Word so that we can read and understand the great power of our Savior.  Thank you for all the spiritual blessings you have given us.  I pray that when we face the storms of life we will turn to You.  And declare in faith - not fear --Master, help us for we are in jeopardy.  Thank you for helping us understand that He will be there for us always.  I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

      Realize the great power of the Son of God.  Let Him know when you are facing a strong wind -- when your boat might be full and you might sink.  Call on Him to still your storm. 

 "Behold, what manner of man is this, that even the wind and the seas obey Him?"
You know -- He is the Christ, the only Son of the Living God!

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment