Monday, April 29, 2013

Behind the Clouds

       About six years ago, the ladies from our congregation were in the middle of preparations for the ladies' retreat we were hosting for the first time.  One of them, a very dear friend of mine, called and said she wanted to talk.  I wasn't sure what it was about, but I had a feeling that she was coming to me for help - for advice.  She is a very good friend of mine and I wanted to help in any way that I could. 
     On the other hand, I was very nervous about it.  She was coming to me for advice - for spiritual guidance.  No one had really ever done that before.  I realized that was a big responsibility. Some one else was seeking my guidance.  I mean, she wasn't just coming to me as a friend.  It's hard to explain, but this was different.  She was depending on me to help her through something going on in her life.  I knew I must be very careful about what I said.  I knew this was a chance to allow myself to be put to use for the Lord.  What if I said the wrong thing to her -- led her in the wrong way somehow? 
       So what did I do?  Well, I went to someone else for advice before I met with my friend.  I went to my Dad for help, as I have done many many times over the years.  Dad was a minister at one time.  He is an elder in the Lord's church now.  He has helped many people over the years.  I leaned on him now to help me. 
Dad, what do I do?  What if I say the wrong thing?  How can I help my friend?
     OK - well this is what he did.  He said, "Come on, let's go for a walk outside."  What???  I had no idea what we were going to do out there, but I knew he had something in mind - so I followed him.  It was night time and already dark.  It was a cloudy night.  The moon was obscured by all the clouds and no stars were in sight. 
       Our conversation went something like this. 
       "Look up," Dad said.  I did. 
       "What do you see?" he asked. 
       "Well, I see clouds, Dad." 
        "Anything else?"
       "No"
       "Where are the stars and the moon?" he asked.
       "Behind the clouds," I answered.
       "Are you sure they are there?"
       "Well, yes Dad.  They are there." 
       "How do you know?"
       "Come on, Dad.  What do you mean how do I know?"
       "You can't see them," he said.  "So how do you know?"
       "Well because they are always there."
        "OK, fair enough."  Then he asked - "Well, who made
         the stars and the moon?"
I'm telling you, I almost felt like I was in the first grade or something.  And I still couldn't figure exactly what Dad's point was.  "God made them, Dad." 
    Finally, hr said.  "OK Robin the same God that made the stars and moon is going to be with you when you talk with your friend tonight.  If you have faith in the power of God and His creation, then you have to know that He will guide you through this and give you the strength and wisdom you need.  Have enough faith, Robin to realize that if you are representing Him - then He is going to get you through it. He will be with you -- just as sure as the moon and the stars are in the night sky."
     I won't ever forget that night or that lesson.  And Dad was right - I prayed before I met with my friend.  I prayed for understanding, compassion and wisdom.  I asked God before we met to help her with whatever problems she might be having.  God did give me the presence of mind to represent Him well - to let her know that He loved her and so did her church family. 
     There is probably more than one lesson to be learned from this.  I guess one of the most important things I learned is that if you ask God to use you in some way -- if you ask Him to give you something to do in His kingdom - then you better watch out because He is going to do just that!  That is one prayer He has never failed to answer for me. 
     Another thing I learned is that Dad was right.  If you are representing God, then He will give you the clarity of mind to deal wisely, lovingly, and righteously with those you are trying to help. 
I am not talking about something miraculous here -- I am just saying He will bless you and be with you as you work for Him. 
      God loves us so much!  He wants us to help Him.  Jesus told us we are the light of the world.  This old world is dark folks.  We need to be praying all the time that we can represent God and bring His glory and His Light (Jesus is the Light, remember) into the world for all to see.  If we are willing to work for Him - He will make a way for that work to take place. 
      I will always be thankful to my Dad for reminding me that God is always there.  Even when we can't see Him because of the clouds, He is there.  All we have to do is reach out for His hand and hold on.  He will bring us through.

      Thank you God for allowing us to serve you and to be lights in this world.  Be with us and give us the strength, discipline. and love to keep shining for you at all times.

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment