Saturday, April 20, 2013

Who's Got Your Back?

       Wow, I am thrilled with the fact that I am able to post twice in a 24 hour period.  I guess in some ways tonight's post is a continuation of what I posted earlier today; but I cannot help but comment on something I have had on my mind for some time. 
        I hope my Dad won't mind that I am sharing this, but somehow I doubt it.  He is a very patriotic man.  He loves our country and has a great admiration for the veterans and our current troops as well.  Dad is a veteran himself and is extremely proud of the fact that he was once a Marine; but as I said, he has a great respect for all veterans and whenever he meets one - he always -- always - thanks them for their service to this country.  Often, if they have family members with them -- he will thank them for their sacrifce too. 
       All that being said, every night (and I do mean every night) when my Dad signs off face book - he says good night to all his on-line friends.  He closes the day with the following statement:  "God bless the USA, our troops, our vets, our freedom and may we fight to keep it."  Sometimes he adds other statements like Good night -- or lock the doors and kiss your spouse and your kids or other things -- but God bless the USA is always in there. 
       Following his sign off, he has one friend who for the longest time would respond and say "Got your back."  That has always given me a good feeling - knowing that there others out there who feel the same way about our country and the diligence we should all have in working - fighting - to keep our freedoms.  For let's face it folks, there are a bunch of people in this country who don't want us to be free.  They are more interested in creating an elitist society  where only a few are in power and have access to great wealth while the rest of us remain under their control.  OK - I really did not mean to get into politics here -- but the major concern I have about losing our freedoms is that we might be hindered from worshipping our God.  I pray that never happens. 
       Back to my Dad's friend - I really liked what he had to say tonight.  His response alluded to the fact that we fight against evil in this world (because of course, as Christians we do - regardless of the political climate)  and then he went on to say - "as long as we follow the command of God, He will have our backs."  Well, amen to that!!  Earlier today we talked about Romans chapter 8 and the encouragment we get from this chapter.  Paul discusses the fact that we are the children of God, that the Spirit intercedes for us and if God be for us who can be against us?  So yes, my friends - Christ has your back!
      It's a wonderful feeling knowing that Christ our Savior came to die for the sins of the world.  God and Christ do not want anyone to be lost -- He came "that the world through Him might be saved. (John 3:17)  Christ's sacrifice is also very personal.  He died for the world, but He died for you and me.  However, we must make the decison to obey the commandments of Christ.  If we do, then we are assured that He does have our backs. 
        Read through the scriptures and you can find affirmation of this.  The book of Ephesians alone has numerous passages that tell us God and Christ have our backs.  Ephesians 1:3 says that we are "blessed with all spritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ."  ALL spiritual blessings -- not just one or two -- not several -- not about half -- but ALL of them. 
Verse 4 goes on to say that He chose us in Him, "that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love."  We will be presented holy and blameless - if we answer the call, if we are faithful and obedient.  Verse 7 says - "In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace." 
      Jesus, our Savior is full of love, mercy and grace.  Through His sacrifice we are called children of God.  Our sins are washed away by His willing sacrifice.  If we sacrifice our lives willingly for Him, then Christ has our back.  In that great day as we are brought before His judgement throne - Christ will say - you loved me.  You heard my word and obeyed.  You were faithful to me.  No - you were not perfect, but you answered my call and you are forgiven.  I've got your back. 
      Now, I doubt that Jesus will really say "I've got your back."  And I don't mean to be presumptious or irreverant at all.  I am speaking figuratively here, so was Dad's on line friend.  But hopefully, you get the point - because the truth of the matter is - when we repent of our sins, confess that Christ is the Son of God and are buried with Him in baptism - our sins are washed away, and we are forgiven.  As we grow in love for Him and in the knowledge of His word, then we grow in grace too.  If we live faithfully, the blood of Christ covers us.  Good to know, right?

       So now I ask you --who's got your back?

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment