Thursday, February 28, 2013

Your Attention Please

          He was early for Bible class that night.  It was still several minutes before seven - several minutes before the bell would ring to start class.  As his Mom said goodbye and went on to her class, he stood just inside the door watching me.  I was busy with pulling all my materials out of my bag and getting everything organized and ready for class.  I had spoken to him when he first walked in, but because I wanted to have everything ready before any other students got there, I was busily working and not paying much attention to my precious little Bible student.  I say precious for several reasons, the primary one of course being that all children - all souls, actually - are precious in the eyes of God.  But I also call this child precious because of what I learned from him that night. 
          About 5 or 6 weeks prior to this night, he had gotten new shoes.  I really don't know why, but new shoes are a big deal to a 2 or 3 year old child.  They don't comment that much when they get new clothes, but for some reason new shoes are a source of great pride.  So each week for the past several weeks, he had commented on his new shoes as he first came into the classroom.  Tonight was the same.  He said, "I got new shoes."  He was smiling proudly. 
          I am ashamed to tell you what I said next because looking back on it, it almost seems mean.  So often we don't think before we speak and I am as guilty as anyone else in that area.  This is where I made my mistake --and where this little guy taught me a lesson I hope I never forget.  I was still very busy trying to get everything ready for class and I was running out of time, so naturally I was barely paying attention to him.  I looked over nonchalantly to see the same shoes that he had now been wearing for several weeks.  "Those are very nice shoes, but they are not new anymore.  You have had them for a while now."  I was almost ready for the rest of the class. 
          He continued to stand there watching me.  I had not given him a satisfactory answer and was still only paying casual attention to him.  Now I can't tell you what all went on in that young boy's mind, but I am pretty sure he wanted my attention in some way.  He stood quietly for a few seconds and then he said, "Well, I pick my nose, too!"  Now  that  got my attention!  Mission accomplished.  When I looked up he was smiling.  My little friend did what he had set out to do -- for now I was concentrating only on him. 
          I learned an important lesson that night.  Children need love and attention.  Now I knew that.  What I mean is that I learned how important it is for a Bible teacher to focus on her students -- not her material.  No matter how much of that love is received by parents, siblings and grandparents at home, they still need special care from their Bible class teachers.  How else can you get a child interested in coming to learn to study God's word than by letting them know they are safe and loved while they are in the classroom?  Bible class teachers play a huge role in how the church as a whole is perceived by these children.  It may be that they are too young to remember specifics from their Bible classes when they are only two or three -- but the feeling we teachers give them will go with them for the rest of their lives.  What an awesome responsibility this is!
            If you are a Bible class teacher, please make sure you give your students the love and attention they deserve.  Focus on each child as an individual at least once during class time.  Let them share what's going on in their lives and let them comment as you are telling the story.  I know you can't let the class get out of control, but there should be times during class that they can interact with you and the other students.
           Whether or not we are teachers, there is One who wants our attention.  God wants us to "have ears that ear" and "eyes that see."  In other words, he wants us to pay attention to Him.  He doesn't want us to read through the Bible and say --"Oh yes, Lord - I've heard this before.  You said the same thing  a few chapters back.  This isn't anything new."   As we read and study our Bibles we can't allow our attention to wander.  As we pray we must focus only on God.  He is waiting on us to come to Him.  I know He will pay attention to us - personal attention -- as we pray to Him.  He knows us intimately and He wants us to know Him in the same way. 
          Several times as Jesus was teaching, He would say, "He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."  Mark 4:9 and Mark 4:23 are just two examples.  Jesus is pleading with His audience, Listen to me.  Pay attention.  I am teaching you something very important.  Please hear it.  I am telling you about your Heavenly Father.  I want you to be in heaven with me.  At the time of the transfiguration, "a voice out of the cloud, which said, 'This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased: hear ye him."  (Matthew 17:5)  Through the Bible, God's inspired word, Jesus still calls to us today.  Are you listening?  Does He ever have your full attention?   Most importantly, are you following and keeping His words?
          Matthew 7:24 - "Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock." 
          Luke 11:28 - "But He said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God and keep it."

Think about it.  Hear Him --hear His sayings and keep them.

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment