Monday, February 4, 2013

"I'm a Big Brother Now"

       He was a little over three years old, so he was a student in my Bible class.  Two or three weeks earlier his Mom (and Dad) brought a little baby sister home.  One Sunday night before worship began, I stopped to speak to the family and to get a little peek at the new baby.  As I was talking to them,  I sat down and my little friend came over to give me a hug.  
      After he hugged me, he very sweetly said, "Guess what, Mrs. Robin?  I am a big brother now." 
       "I know and you will be a very good big brother," I said. 
       "Yes, I am going to help take care of her."
       " And I know you will do a very good job."  He hugged me again and I got to my own seat just before services began. 

        My thoughts have turned back to that moment over and over since it happened.  That little boy had such pride and love for his little sister.  She is right about one now and so far he is still doing a great job with his baby sister.  He loves her dearly.  Watching them at services you can see how much joy they get from one another.  And of course, this has led me to think about how we might act toward our brothers and sisters in Christ.  When a new soul comes to Christ are we happy to say that we are a big brother or sister now? 
       For most of us, I am sure this is true.  How can we help but fill joy and love over a soul who had their sins washed away?  But are we still as excited about that new Christian a year later?  We have young people in our congregations who will need love, support, encouragement and guidance for several years to come.  They are babes in Christ who have just begun their walk with God.  Are you walking along with them?  Do you encourage these young people as they strive to grow in their faith and service to the Lord?  Do you offer  yourself to them by telling them if they ever have any questions or need any help for them to let you know?  Do you congratulate them for setting a good example when they bring their friends to a church service?  Sisters and brothers there is so much we can do for these young people.  And believe me, they will appreciate that you care.  Actually, they will probably remember these kindnesses all their lives. 
      What about the Christian families who move into your area and become a part of your congregation?  Consider also those from the community who might be converted to the Lord, either through their own study or by the efforts of someone within your church family.  Do you give an honest effort to welcome them, not only by speaking to them at services, but by calling them or sending them a card?  Do you encourage them to be involved in other activities of the church?  Can they tell by the way you act that you are truly happy to have them among your number?  
      Just as plants need a little attention in order for them to grow, so too do new Christians.  Remember the words of Paul?  "I have planted,  Apollos watered but God gave the increase."  (I Corinthians 3:6)  Doesn't this verse indicate that there is a need for that watering -- for the nurturing of a new Christian?  I think so.  After all, Jesus Himself told us in Matthew 28:19-20 -"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost; teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."  I am pretty sure that the Holy Father and Son expect us to help new Christians to grow.  If we love the church and understand that "if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another,"  (I Jn. 4:11) then it makes perfect sense.
            Let's consider a few more scriptures:
I Thess. 5:11 -- "Wherefore, comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do."
Titus 2:2-4:  "That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.  The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, ....That they may teach the young women t be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, .." 
Romans 15:5 --"Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also recieved us to the glory of God."
Romans 14:19 --"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
One more here (and there are really so many more than this) Eph 4:2-3 "With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."
    All these scriptures have something to do with the way fellow Christians should treat one another.  But we didn't even discuss the scriptures that compare the church to the body of Christ.  I Corinthians 12 is a chapter that stresses the importance of each member of the body --each member of the church.  If we, as Christians, truly love the church -which is the body of Christ and we understand that each member is part of the same body --then we are going to do everything we can to take care of that body.  So then, yes - we will be glad to help those younger Christians, pleased to teach, love and support the body of Christ -of which we are all a part. 
        May we all consider it an honor to be a big brother or sister in Christ.  Let's be like my little friend who was so happy and proud to be a big brother.  Let's have as much love for our brothers and sisters as he did.  If we love Christ as we should, then we are going to want to nurture His body.  Our influence is a powerful force. Please use it for good!

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment