Friday, February 15, 2013

Jesus Wept

       "Jesus wept."  John 11:35.  This has come to mean more to me over the past few days than it ever has before.  I have begun to realize its deep meaning and the great comfort that it provides.  As the shortest verse in the Bible, it is quoted often at Maywood Christian Camp.  Children use it when saying their memory verses because it is so short and easy to remember.  In the past, I have used it as an opportunity to teach.  So many times, the kids can't even tell me the story behind Jesus weeping.  I will be teaching this with even more emphasis from now on.  I have always loved this story, but I feel I understand on a different level now. 
      Through the Holy Spirit, John tells a beautiful story in this chapter of his gospel account.  Many lessons can be drawn from it.  I have just read those scriptures again with fresh eyes.  John 11:5 says, "Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, Mary and Lazarus."  He had a very special relationship with this family.  They loved and respected him as their Lord.  It is so important for us to understand that Jesus had relationships - friendships - while He was here on this earth.  Yes, He was God in man; but he was man.  He was flesh and blood and had feelings just like the rest of us who have ever lived on this earth.  That was part of God's plan.
       Think about the relationships that Jesus had as the "Son of Man."  He had parents.  He had brothers and sisters.  He had cousins, as Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, is mentioned as a cousin of His mother Mary.  He had friends; friends that He knew He could depend on to be there for Him; friends in whose home He could visit and relax away from the crowds that thronged Him and from those who taunted Him. 
       Jesus really did love this family.  Yet, He did not come to see them when he was first summoned.  Jesus had a reason for this.  He knew that He was going to bring Lazarus back from the dead.  Read verse 3-4 "Therefore his sisters sent unto saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.  When Jesus heard that, He said, 'This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby."  We all know the story.  Lazarus did die, but Jesus resurrected Him and God was truly glorified!!!  What a wonderful triumph for Jesus!
         Yet, before Jesus performed this triumphant and glorious miracle that caused many to believe on Him (v. 44) there was sorrow and mourning.  There were tears.  I have a wonderful sister friend who says that John 11:35 is her favorite verse in the entire Bible because it shows us Jesus not only had true emotions; but that He has a deep compassion for those who are suffering.  As I read this chapter, I understand what she means.  Jesus definitely allowed His emotions show at this time. 
        John 11: 33-38 - "When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit and was troubled.  And said, 'Where have they laid him?'  They said unto Him, 'Lord, come and see.'  Jesus wept.  Then said the Jews, 'Behold how he loved him!'  And some of them said, 'Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?'  Jesus therefore again groaning in Himself cometh to the grave.  It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it."
       Jesus wept, not only because He loved Lazarus; but because He loved Mary and Martha.  Jesus had compassion for their sorrow.  He was truly sad for them and what they were going through.  He groaned in the spirit.  He delayed coming because He knew that He would be raising Lazarus; but He felt the same great sorrow that Mary and Martha felt.  He also had compassion and consideration for what Lazarus went through in his illness.  Jesus is our supreme example.  He was truly "weeping with those who weep."  His great love for these three people and the deep sadness they were struggling with caused His heart pain.  Perhaps the simple faith they had in Him to have protected Lazarus from dying was going through His mind.  I know that I cannot begin to imagine what Jesus was feeling at the point - except profound sorrow.
       My uncle's funeral was today.  It was really tough.  We all loved him so much.  David was a great friend to everyone he met.  He was a key member of our family; just like Lazarus was beloved to his family.  Jesus wept.  How wonderful it is to know that Jesus weeps for us all.  He takes our great sadness and lays it at our Father's feet.  I know that Jesus knows just how I feel because He felt the same way about Lazarus. 
       Jesus wept because Lazarus was dead.  He wept because His compassionate heart was broken for those two sisters who had lost their brother. Last night and today, many people came to pay tribute to my Uncle David and what he meant to them.  Some of those present wept.  I cried too.  But I took great pride in understanding that Jesus knew my pain and He was weeping for me too. 

         Heavenly Father - I thank you so much for giving me a Redeemer who  knows just how I feel.  Thank you for the comfort you send us.  Thank you for loving me and giving me this avenue of  prayer.  I lay my troubles and sorrows at your feet.  I know that your Son, Jesus will plead for comfort on my behalf.  As You are compassionate with me; please help me to learn to be more compassionate in dealing with others.  For we all know that loss is part of life.  Help me understand that I can depend on You for everything.  I understand now the deep sadness Jesus had for Mary and Martha.  I also understand God, that it was all done so that you would ultimately be glorified.  Please be with me Lord and help me to stive to glorify you by my life .  Please be with me and the rest of our family as we continue to deal with this loss.  You are an Almighty God .  Give me the strength, dear God to get through each day.  In Jesus name, Amen.

If there are typos please forgive me.  I have tried to proof read, but I am falling asleep sitting here. 

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment