Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Leaving a Legacy

       I must apologize for not having posted on a more regular basis lately.  I lost my uncle early Tuesday morning.  He was my dad's only brother and a devoted husband for over 40 years.  He loved his wife and family, especially his children and grandchildren.  I had the privilege of being a next door neighbor for about 20 years.  And like his daughter Jennifer said the morning he passed away, "The world is different now."  It truly is.  We will all miss him so very much. 
       Losing a loved one is a time for great sadness.  We all lose those close to us at some time or another.  It is the circle of life.  It is the way God set it up.  If you stop and think about it though, good people never really die.  I am not talking about our souls here.  I am talking about what our loved ones leave behind for us.  When we lose someone - their memory lives on in our hearts.  The impact and influence they had on our lives effects the person we are because they are part of us.  Our life experiences - all the people who are so close to our hearts , really everyone we have ever known, contributes to our personalities in one way or another.  
       Uncle David shaped my life in a very positive way.  He taught me the importance of making people feel loved -- feel special.  He showed me how good it felt to know someone who was always glad to see me - no matter what.  Those impressions go with me.  That joy stays in my heart and helps me remember to be kind to those around me.  It helps me remember to make my own neices and nephews feel special.  If I pass that on to someone else in my family -- then i am passing on a little piece of my Uncle David. 
Well, you can see how this will go.  In just a couple of generations, people may not remember David's name or mine.  But if I succeed in influencing someone else the way he did me; then he keeps on living through generation after generation.

       Life is short.  Uncle David was only 64.  I will never ever forget him.  He will be remembered by  all those who loved him.  And as long as the earth stands someone down the line in our family will still be passing on the gentle and loving spirit of my uncle.  In that way - that most profound and precious way, he will live on.  David loved to hunt.  His son does too.  And I am sure that his son, Nate - will teach his nephews (David's grandkids) how to love hunting like Poppa did.  David liked to fish, so did his dad - my Grandpa.  My husband likes to fish too.  So when my son Alex fishes -- or teaches his future children to fish - he will be sharing both his dad and his uncle with them.  When my brother shares his love of fishing with his son, Will -- then my Grandpa and my Uncle David will both live on. When his daughter Jennifer shares her beautiful smile with the world and gives one of those loving hugs that were so much like her Dad's -- then Uncle David lives on.  When his wife (my aunt) tells one of her favorite stories about her favorite guy - we will all know how much they meant to each other.  And he will live on.
      God is a loving God.  We learn about love from him.  We learn to love because of Him.  God created us in His image.  God instituted the family unit.  Because God loves, He gave us the ability to love also.  He blessed me with this wonderful guy I was able to call my Uncle David.  And I am so very thankful!!!  I pray that those wonderful parts of David's goodness will keep living on in descendant after descendant until the earth no longer stands.

Thank you, God for giving us families to love and call our own.  Let us remember how blessed we are if we come from a good and loving family.  Help me to thankful for those I love.  Help me to be more considerate of my family and all their needs.  Thank you for your precious Son, whose ultimate love and sacrifice truly lives on in the lives of those who proclaim Christ as their Master, Lord and Saviour.  In His precious name, Amen

Christ above all things,
Robin
      

No comments:

Post a Comment