Monday, February 11, 2013

Ruth's Gift of Submission

       I recently heard a minister speak on the home and family.  I enjoyed the lesson very much.  As he discussed the roles of the husband and wife,  naturally one of the passages of scripture to which he referred was Ephesians 5:22- 25.  The minister discussed very specifically the husband's role and spoke of the great love a husband should have for his wife.  The husband should love his wife "as Christ loved the church."  
       A discussion of the wife's role came next.  As he started talking about submission, he said something I have never really thought about before. I am thankful that I was able to hear this lesson.  I appreciate what the minister had to say.  I have never thought about submission the way he presented it. He said that submission was not a sign of weakness at all; but rather a wife's submission is a gift she gives to her husband upon marrying him.  He told the husbands that submission should never be forced.  In a Christian marriage submission is voluntary.
       Those comments made me think of Ruth for some reason.  Maybe it was because her intreaty to Naomi is often used in weddings.  Read Ruth 1:16-17
"And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee; for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me and more also, if ought but death part thee and me."  What beautiful words!  And I agree, they are appropriate words for a wedding ceremony even though it was not at a marriage that these words were first spoken. 
      Ruth's words to Naomi were indeed a beautiful declaration of love and loyalty.   Until I heard the lesson mentioned earlier, I never really thought about this; but it was also Ruth's gft of submission to Naomi and to God.  It was given willingly and enthusiastically.  Think about it.  Ruth was from Moab.  She was raised in an idolatrous nation. The "god' worshipped by the Moabites was called Chemosh.  As part of the worship to Chemosh - human sacrifices were offered.  However, Ruth had been married to Naomi's son for 10 years.  She had learned about God - the one true and living God.  She made the decision to submit herself to God.
       Both Ruth and Orpah were planning to return with Naomi to Bethlehem-Judah.  Naomi tried to convince them to turn back to their own families - to their own countries.  Orpah eventually did.  Ruth, however, was a totally different story.  In that famous moment, she declared her love and loyalty to Naomi and to God.  She also declared her submission.  She wanted to be a follower of the God of Israel.  Naomi was also given the gift of Ruth's submission.  Naomi was to take the lead - Ruth would follow.  "I'll go where you go.  I'll live where you live.  You are in charge Naomi and your God shall be my God." 
      I would love to go on through the book of Ruth and offer up examples of Ruth's submission; but there's not time to do that tonight.  If you read through the book though, you will notice Ruth's gentle spirit and her willingness to do just what Naomi instructed her to do.  Naomi did not abuse this submission.  She wanted to take care of her daughter in law.  She wanted to find a husband for her.  We know that she deeply desired a grandchild to carry on her son's name; but I believe there is way more to this story than that.  These women had been through a lot together.  They were each looking out for the other.
     What about you?  Have you given up your life to Christ?  Have you become a Christian and offered your gift of submission?  Do you take up your cross every day to follow Jesus?  Romans 12:1 - "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."  Paul is telling us to offer our submission as a gift to God.  What is a sacrifice if it isn't a gift?  We know that our gift to HIm - our lives lived in submission to His will, no matter how difficult that may be at times, will be richly rewarded!

Christ above all things, 
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment