Friday, February 8, 2013

Important Things

        For those of you who might read my blog on a regular basis, I apologize for not having posted anything in a couple of days. A lot has been going on at work lately and it has been pretty stressful. Also, my uncle is in ICU at the hospital, so I was there last night for a couple of hours. I got to see him for a few minutes.  Please pray for him and his family.  
        Now here I am back tonight and it feels so good to be writing again. I had a really strange dream last night. I was searching for a particular shirt to wear for a particular event. I looked through my dresser, my closet and even through the laundry hamper. I never found the shirt. That’s really about all I remember – just searching and searching. Now this could have been my brain’s way of telling me that I need to clean out my closet because I definitely do! J The dream could have also been related to my work somehow since it seems everything there is pure chaos at the moment. I’m not sure exactly what it meant.  Maybe my mind was sending me a message about seeking the right things in life –in the right places. I am by no means a psychologist, but I do try to learn from my dreams when I can.

       The dream does remind me a littlle bit of the parable of the lost coin. Remember? The woman has 10 coins and loses one. She goes about her entire house searching everywhere just for that one coin and then she finds it and there is much rejoicing. When teaching that parable Jesus said, "there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth." (Luke 15: 10b). I think this parable reminds us of what is important:
    • Souls -- people – "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:17. That’s the primary lesson from this parable – gaining the lost for Christ.
  • The church – "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18
  • Kindness –"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32
  • Love – "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:37-40
  • Keeping His commandments –"Ye are my friends if you do whatsoever I command you." John 15:14
  •         Have you ever been so caught up in something or so stressed out over something that it almost devoured you? You got tunnel vision and that one worry, problem- or maybe it was a good thing – but good or bad or neither, it was all-consuming and you forgot what was important. Then something happens to jerk you back into reality and it dawns on you that this "thing" had taken control of you.  Finally you realize that it is in no way worth investing so much energy into one thing.  That is what I almost did this week. I almost let myself get lost in stressing with work. I almost forgot there was life outside of the office. 
           Then my uncle got sick and I started remembering what was important. And I realized it wasn’t my job! Don’t get me wrong, I know we are supposed to "do all in the name of the Lord" (Col. 3:17); and that includes our work. Believe me, I really do know this. I have always been taught to do my very best. At the same time however, I shouldn’t stress over it to the point that I lose myself.  I need to remember what is inportant and stay focused on my God and living my life for Him.
          We must put God first in our lives so that we can be a blessing and example to others.  We must love Him first and foremost and then love our neighbor as ourselves.  Cherish your family, love them, hug them and teach them God's will.  Keep the commandments of Christ.  Take opportunities to teach the Bible when you can.  Be a loyal friend -- the kind of friend that can be counted on no matter what.  Love the church as it is the body of Christ.  Help your local congregation in any way that you can.  And always and everywhere be kind to everyone. 

    If someone you love is in the hospital – go be with them.
    If your small children need some extra attention – give it to them.
    If a sister in Christ just lost a family member – cry with her.
    If a friend is excited about her upcoming wedding – rejoice with her.
    If someone needs to confide in you – listen to him and honor that confidence.
    If someone is down and out –comfort them.
    If someone repents and comes back to the church – welcome them "home."
    If a person asks you about the God you believe in – share the gospel with her.
    If a church member is struggling with a weakness – pray with him.

         I am being repetitive I know, but it is so important to remember that God, church, country, family and friends – these are important. These are the things that really matter. Don’t lose yourself like I almost did over my work. It’s not worth it. Doing a good job is important, but stressing out over something you can’t change isn’t.
    Christ above all things,
    Robin

    No comments:

    Post a Comment