Thursday, June 27, 2013

Who Do You Belong To?

     "My head, my shoulders, my knees, my toes..
My head, my shoulders, my knees, my toes ..
My head, my shoulders, my knees, my toes all belong to Jesus."  That song has been stuck in my head for days now. I learned it last week at camp. We sang it every morning at our pre-breakfast devotional. Naturally, the motions went with it. But I could not touch my toes. I am not in good enough shape to do that anymore. My plan is to change that. Next year, I will be touching my toes. Hopefully, in doing so, I will be more physically fit to serve the Lord.  
   After all, we are told in Paul's letter to the Romans to be present our bodies as a living sacrifice. I need to start taking at least a little bit better care of mine. It is not something I think of very often; but God does want us to take care of our bodies.  
   Becoming more fit is not the only thing this little song brings to my mind. If we pledge that we belong to Jesus then we will allow ourselves to be guided by Him. We will love Him and serve Him wholly! Our theme last week was about being different. If we belong to Jesus we will shine as lights in the world. We will be different. People all around us will be able to tell that we belong to our Redeemer, Jesus Christ. It should be pretty obvious.
   Giving our minds (our heads) to Jesus means that we think differently. We think on things that are that are lovely, pure and holy. We keep our minds focused on the main thing - getting to heaven! Belonging to Jesus means we have dedicated ourselves to be transformed (different) by the renewing of our minds.  Christians who give themselves completely to our Lord will pray more often. We will spend time in the Word. We will work on renewing our minds every day. We will understand the meaning of a true relationship with God's Son. 
  Located a little below our left shoulder is our heart. Giving our heart to Christ not only means we live differently, but we love   differently, too.  We give of ourselves. We become servants for others, knowing that as we serve others, we are serving Christ.  We understand the great love that Christ had for us.  Upon that realization our whole thought process changes -- our hearts are set on things above.  Our treasure becomes not earthly things -- but God.  And as we love God and Christ more and more, we are able to love everyone else more too.  
  What about our knees?  Well we all know what our knees are for.  We bend and move using our knees.  We can't go where God leads us if our knees don't belong to Jesus!  Last but certainly not least, our toes help us maintain our balance as we walk.  So if we are being guided by God - then we will faithfully maintain balance in our lives.  We will understand what is important and what isn't.  Our priorities are much different from those outside of Christ.  We put first things first and what comes first is Jesus!  
   I know it is a bit of a stretch to make these parallels.  However, the message in our little song is very important.  Jesus wants you, but He wants ALL of you.  We can't serve Him halfheartedly.  We must love Him, worship Him and praise Him with all that is within us.
   We must learn to think like He thinks, love like He loves, go where He would have gone, and keep our priorities straight like He did. He always served the Father. He never lost his focus. He submitted to and followed where ever God led.  
   If we belong to Jesus, we must live like He lived - fully devoted to the Father. From top to bottom and inside and out -give Him everything that you are.  He died for us. We must love Him enough to live for Him.
  SO - I ask you this question...
your head, your shoulders, your knees, your toes... YOU - who do you belong to?  Think about it.

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment