Saturday, June 1, 2013

"More Value than Many Sparrows"

       The other morning on the way to work I followed a bird for a few short seconds.  I thought it was going to fly across the road in front of the car, but instead it changed direction and went the same direction I was going.  So for about 30 seconds or so, a bird flew several yards in front of me.  It was a real treat to watch him fly.  I have always loved to watch birds in flight.  Most people probably do.  I have noticed them a lot more lately.  Maybe it is because our theme for the Ladies Retreat this year is "Lifted Up on Wings of Eagles" and perhaps that just put my mind on all birds more lately.  I do love watching them, though.  
        Watching birds fly has always made me think about God.  Seeing birds remind me that God is always with me.  You see because it reminds me of a couple of scriptures in God's word.  The first scripture I think of is from the Sermon on the Mount as recorded in Matthew chapters 5 through 7.  This particular passage comes from Matthew 6: 25 -26 --"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body what ye shall put on.  Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?  Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your Heavenly Father feeds them.  Are ye not much better than they?"
       Yes, God loves you.  He loves the birds - and takes care of them and then when He created us, He gave us a living soul.  So  if you can understand that the God who created us all loves the creatures of the earth and cares for them,  then you can understand that God cares for us too.  
      But the scripture I love to think of when I see birds in flight is Matthew 10:29-31 --
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing?  and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.  But the very hairs of your head are numbered.  Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows."  See when I see a bird anywhere near me, it just reminds me that God is always with me.  He really knows where we are all the time.  God keeps up with the birds.  He knows where they are and when they fall to the ground.  Yet, we are more important than many sparrows.  That means - He knows where you are.  And if you are walking in the light - then He is with us.  For me, that is a great comfort.
      That is one of the reasons I love to see the birds - really whether they are in the sky or at the bird feeder in my back yard.  Seeing birds reminds me that God is always present -- or that I am in God's presence.  I know I an in His presence because Jesus has said God is with the birds.  These verses I mentioned are such a great comfort to me.  So is the knowledge of God's presence in my life. 
      I don't even know what kind of bird I saw fly in front of my car the other day, but that doesn't matter.  It was just like God was saying -- "Follow me and I am going to show you a wonderful day today!" 
      I am probably belaboring the point, but that scripture - not one sparrow falls to the ground without the Father -- that is an awesome scripture about an awesome God.  How many sparrows have their been in this wonderful since the beginning of time?  And I don't think it's just the sparrows, do you?   It is all the birds.  God knows -- they are His creatures -- and when they "fall to the ground" - when they die - He knows.  What a great and loving God we serve!  It really is mind boggling, isn't it? 
    
      Dear Heavenly Father, - thank You for Your beautiful creation.  Thank You for making the earth such a wonderful planet.  Thank you for all the creature You have made.  Tonight, Father - I particularly thank You for the birds of the air -- for you made them all.  And we know how much you care about them and about much you care about us.  Your power is to honored and praised.  Your loving mercy  is beyond anything we can comprehend.  We are thankful for the blessing you send to us each day and we pray dear God -- we pray that we will always seek to follow Your will -- so that we can always be in your presence.  Heavenly Father -- we want to do your will because You have loved us so much.  We pray that we will always have the desire to be close to you.  In Your Son's precious name, Amen.

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment