Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ups and Downs -- Just a Day of Life

     Sometimes it is difficult to sit and choose just one topic to share because so many different thoughts run through my head.  I need to keep a tape recorder or something with me because I think of a really neat idea from time to time and by the time I get to where I can write it down so many things have happened that I have forgotten what I thought of.  Today has been a day of mixed emotions.  When I left work this afternoon, I had a wonderful sense of accomplishment because I felt like I had gotten a lot done.  Ha! You could even see the bottom of my desk when I left.   Then  I became frustrated because I lost my phone.  I have no idea where it is -- I can only hope I left it at work.
       I have been concerned about my friend and supervisor who has been sick.  She was off of work last week and is back now, but she is still not completely well.  I hope she doesn't push herself too much.  She is a dear friend as well as my supervisor.  I have worked for her and with her for a very long time now. 
        Then I had a pleasant surprise this afternoon at work because a dear friend came by for a few minutes to visit and she brought me a coke from Sonic.  It was a wonderful feeling to know that she had thought enough of me to come by.  We enjoyed each other's company for a while and just those few minutes helped me finish out my day in a good mood!
        I was sad today because I went to the visitation (wake) of a dear sister the world lost a few days ago.  She was a fine Christian lady who always had the sweetest smile and kind words for everyone.  I loved being around her.  She was a good friend and a good mom.  It is a sad thing to lose a friend or a family member.  I will miss her.  She was the sister to our youth minister and my heart goes out to him, his wife, their two sons and of course, her sweet daughters. 
       I went from her visitation to our congregation's Vacation Bible School where the children were led in song by our youth minister's sons.  They too, had just left their aunt's visitation to come help out at VBS.  Their aunt would have been proud of them.  They did a great job with the young children and led all those fun songs that children love to sing.  Naturally, the joy and enthusiasm the kids showed for vacation Bible school was contagious.  Our class lesson tonight was even on joy and peace.   One couldn't help but feel good after being at VBS tonight!  
     So there you pretty much have my day --
        a sense of accomplishment for the work I had done,               
        frustration because I lost my phone
        concern for a friend who is still not well
        surprise and smiles because a friend came by
        sadness over the loss of a different friend 
        sadness because of her family's mourning
        joy from working with those wonderful children at VBS
Then of course, there is love and laughter, love and tears -- and finally being tired at the end of a full day.  
     I know - this is just life.  Any person's day at any given time could go like this.  Life truly is full of ups and downs.  Heartaches come --to anyone who has ever cared about anyone - heartaches come.  Wonderful beautiful moments arrive -- those kinds of great moments that you remember for your entire life.  The happiest time of your life could occur on the saddest day of your life.  That's just the way life is.  
      I once knew a Christian who said that God did not promise us smooth sailing through life.  He only promised us a safe landing.  And He -- our eternal loving God will be with you through the tough times and will be with you through the good times too.  We are not to be conformed to the world -- (Rom. 12) nor are we to allow ourselves to be "spotted" by the world.  (per our Brother James).  So we aren't supposed to be of the world, but we still have to live in the world.  As a result, sometimes life gets really tough.  And sometimes, it is extremely and incredibly wonderful!!
      Everyone, not just Christians, have to take the good with the bad.  The difference is that the Christian has that joy in her heart that will tell her everything is OK because God is in control and He will be with you through your darkest hours and your brightest moments.  He will never leave us or forsake us.  One of the fruits of the Spirit that we studied tonight was joy.  In our class 1st and 2nd grade classes we studied joy and peace.  A statement was made that even in the worst of times we can always smile because we know that Jesus loves us.  He went to the cross for us and He will never give us more than we can handle.  We can have the joy in our hearts which is derived from the knowledge that God is going to take care of us and He going to take us to Heaven to be with Him sometime. 
       We can also have that beautiful and wonderful peace that passes all understanding.  When we are having tough times - we can call upon God for calm, strength and peace.  Our total reliance and dependence on God is an amazing encouragement to others  because they see how confident we are with our trust in Him.  We know that God will take care of us.  When we display this particular fruit of the Spirit, we can let our lights shine and set a wonderful example for our Lord. 

So again, I am wishing you peace and joy tonight and throughout your day tomorrow.  I pray for wisdom for us all to understand that with God's help nothing is impossible and nothing can separate us from His love.  I pray that we can know that a mixture of all types of events and emotions can be experienced any day or every day.  And that through it all God is there with us and will take care of us.

God bless you.

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment