Monday, June 3, 2013

The Light in the Darkness

     As I woke up in the middle of the night, I stumbled through the darkness to the kitchen.  I needed a drink of water and did not bother to turn on the lights, but rather felt my way through my bedroom door, into the hallway and finally the kitchen.  I have done this many times through the years.  Sometimes I bump into the doorway or a piece of furniture on the way and end up with various bruises in weird places (like on the side of my elbow). Most of the time though, I make it without mishap.  
     My, but it is dark in my house with all the lights off! The darkness is an inky black - so thick you can almost feel it. Sometimes, I hold my hand up in front of my face to see if I can tell it's there - with my eyes that is.  Of course, once I get to the kitchen I have to turn on the light.  I don't think I could ever "feel" myself to the cabinet for a glass and then get a drink of water. I have often admired the blind for all the things they learn to do.  They are to be admired for their strength, courage and adaptability.  Many overcome their impairment and lead amazingly productive lives.  
     However, the other night as I was stumbling around in the darkness I thought about spiritual darkness and where I would be without my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  He is the Light of the World.  He tells us that in Him there is no darkness at all. How wonderful is that? 
    We should ever be thankful for His mercy and His loving kindness toward us.  Without Him there is no hope for a home in heaven.  He is the Way - the Light - the Word.  Knowing Jesus -- being IN Jesus -- is the way we see to get to heaven.  And in Heaven there will never be any darkness at all.  There is no night there.  In heaven, we will always be in the Light. 
   The first chapter of the gospel of John gives us a beautiful description of Jesus.  John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."  Most of us are very familiar with the first few verses of this gospel.  John tells us that everything was made by Him.  So we know that Jesus was with God in the beginning -- during creation.  
   In verse 4 & 5 John begins to describe Jesus as light.  "In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."  Jesus was the Light.  The world is full of darkness.  Jesus stood out when He was here on this earth.  His light shone brightly.  But the world did not understand who Christ was.  So they crucified Him.  
     Verse 10 says "He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not."  It is so sad to understand that they didn't recognize their Creator.  And yet, even today the world does not recognize Him -- as their Creator - as their Light in the darkness of the world.  How sad it is!
   There is good news here though -- read verse 12:  "But as many as received Him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name."  That's the Good News.  Believe on Him -- enough to fall in love with Him.  Fall in love with Him enough to do His commandments.  He loves you.  He died for you .... we must live for Him.  He is the Light and He is the Word.  So it is by Him and through Him that we learn about getting to heaven.  
  Psalms 119:105 - "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."  It is the word we have to "study to show ourselves approved unto God."  -- So if Jesus is the Word -- then what we study in the Bible is Jesus.  And if the light is what we follow out of darkness -- then we follow Jesus.  Remember He said, "Take my yoke upon you and LEARN of me."  It seems all tangled up in a way -- and yet at the same time it seems so simple.  Jesus' Word is what Lights our way.  Jesus' words take the darkness out of our lives.
     Jesus also describes Himself as Truth.  He tells us we shall know the truth and the truth shall make us free.  Do you want to know the truth to be free from the power of sin?  Know Jesus!  His truth is in the Word.  His Word is the light for our path.  All we need to do to get to know Jesus is study the Word.  If you want to get to know someone what do you do?  You spend time with them, of course.  If you what to get to know Jesus - what should you do?  Spend time in His Word.  The Word is the Truth that is the Light that shows us the Way to our Lord.  It really is all about Jesus, isn't it?  
    Christ said "I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh to the Father, but by me."  (John 14:6).  If you think you can get to God - or heaven without Jesus, you are so sadly mistaken.  Jesus said no man -- no one gets to God except by me. 
So to get to the Father, you have to know the Son.  It's a little different here on earth, isn't it?  Well, maybe not so much anymore, but still quite often when a young man wants to marry a young lady - he goes to the father first.  So he doesn't get the daughter without going to the father.  Our spiritual lives are totally opposite -- we don't get the Father without going to the Son. There is no other way.  
   So in order to come out of the darkness of sin - you have to go into the Light.  In order to be freed from the power of sin -- you have to know the Truth.  Then you will be free to serve the Son and know the Father.  If you don't follow the Way - you don't get to heaven.  The Word gives you Light to see the Truth and know the Way that leads to Life eternal.  It's all about Jesus.  
You must be in Him to gain this freedom.  You must become part of His body - which is His church - which He died to build.  

    Finally, in John 14:23 - Jesus made a promise.  "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and WE will come unto him and make our abode with him."  
    Are you ready to let Jesus and God make their "abode with you?"  Do you want them to come and live within your heart?  Then Jesus is the Light, the Way, the Word, the Truth and the Life.  

   Love Him. Walk in His Light. Keep His words - His commandments -- all of them.  We can't pick and choose what to obey and what not to obey.  Jesus said "keep my commandments."  It doesn't matter if we think in makes sense.  To come to the Father - to make it to Heaven, we must obey His commandments. 

The world did not recognize Jesus.  They did not comprehend that Light that shone in the darkness.  Do you?

Christ above all things, 
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment