Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wonderful, Wonderful Jesus is to Me!

           Wonderful, wonderful Jesus is to me. 
           Counselor,  Prince of Peace,  Mighty God is He!
           Saving me,  keeping me,  from my sin and shame.
           Wonderful is my Redeemer, praise His name!
 
          When I was a teenager, this was one of my favorite songs.  Little did I know back then that these words were penned in scripture long, long ago.  The verse is Isaiah 9:6 as the birth of Jesus is prophesied.  "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."   These are beautiful names for a beautiful Savior!  The song had a deep meaning to me as I was growing up.  It gave me a picture of a loving yet powerful Son of God.  Of course the song is derived from the beautiful words of scripture inspired by the Holy Spirit. 
         Our Jesus is wonderful!  He loves us with a deep abiding love that keeps us from sin and shame - because if we obey His commandments, the blood that He shed washes us clean.  His death and resurrection shields us from a fate of eternal death.  Psalms 84:11 -"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly."  God shields us--keeps us -- from the shame of our sin.  He is our Sun - our Light -- to keep us from wandering into the darkness. 
          Our Jesus is our counselor.  Peter tells us we can cast all our cares on Him because He cares for us.  (I Peter 5:7)  Christ came and lived on earth as a man.  He faced temptation like we do.  He faced disappointment and endured pain.  He had a family that he must have loved and cared about.  He went through life on earth just like we do.  He laughed and cried and loved.  He is uniquely qualified to understand what we go through in our lives.  As we pray to the Father, Christ intercedes for us.  We truly can take our cares to Him.  He tells us to take His yoke upon us and learn of Him. (Matthew 11:29)  As we seek to obey His commandments and follow His will - He will lead the way for us.  Psalms 73:24 - "Thou shalt guide me with  thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory."  What a wonderful promise!
          He is our Prince of Peace.  He is the one that gives us that peace that passes all understanding.  As we allow Him to be our Prince -- as we serve Him, He frees us from sin.  There is truly a great calm - a wonderful peace of mind that we gain from being His servant.  We have given ourselves wholly to Him, so we know that He will take care of us.  We don't have to worry because we know He is there for us --always.  And we know that He will take us home to be with Him.  What a comforting, restful, peaceful thought. 
          He is our Redeemer,  for we are told that we were "bought with a price."  He has saved us from our iniquities.  In John 3:17 Jesus says - "the Son of Man came not to destroy the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."   Christ is the one "in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace."  Ephesians 1:7
          And finally He is our Mighty God. 
         Consider John 1:1-3 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  The same was in the beginning with God.  All things were made by Him: and without Him was not anything made that was made." 
Acts 2:34-36 --"For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, until I make thy foes thy footstool.  Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified both Lord and Christ."  
          I am so thankful that my Wonderful Jesus loved me enough to be my Lord and Savior.  I am also thankful that He has saved me - redeemed me and kept me from my sin and shame.  He is my Counselor.  He is the Prince of Peace.  May we ever praise His Holy Name.

Christ above all things,
Robin



         

No comments:

Post a Comment