Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Don't Give Up

          Ah!  The wonders of this modern technical world we live in, right?  I suppose that's so only if you understand all there is to understand about computers and such.  I don't.  I am slightly frustrated right now because I typed something earlier today from another computer and emailed that file to myself so that I would be able to open it on this computer tonight. I could not open the file.  So - I suppose I will have to try again tomorrow. I can't give up  because if I do what I wrote earlier will be lost.  
          I have not posted in the past couple of days.  I apologize for that too.  Hopefully, I am back on my game.  Again, I can't give up and stop posting - if I do - I will lose what I have gained and I don't want to do that.  
          We can't give up in our spiritual lives either.  We must "keep on keepin' on."
Our God loves us so much and He is rooting for us to stay in the game.  I think it was Winston Churchill that was quoted as saying  "Never ever ever ever ever ever ever give up."  I think God tells us the same thing -- "Be not weary in well doing, for in due season ye shall reap if ye faint not."  (Galatians 6:9)
          Many other verses encourage us to remain faithful and I love them all, for they are so encouraging and uplifting. 
        I Corinthians 15:57-58: "But thanks be to God, which gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord."  
        Hebrews 3:14 - "For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end;"
       Hebrews 12:1 -- "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,"

         Although there are others, we can see from these verses alone that God does not want us to give up.  The Holy Spirit tells us through the scriptures that if we keep doing good, we will reap our reward.  Just don't give up.  We have victory through Christ if remain steadfast, if our faith never wavers and if we continue to abound in the work of the Lord.  Just don't give up.  
         When we become Christians we gain a new hope and a new confidence in Christ our Lord.  We have confessed that He is the Son of God.  We have repented of our past sins, been buried with Christ and raised to walk in newness of life.  So we have this wonderful confidence that He will be with us as we commit our lives to Him! Our hearts are filled with enthusiasm and love for our God.  I love being around new Christians because they are so joyful and so zealous.  But we are all supposed to be that zealous.  It is easy to be excited about the Christian life in the beginning.  We are new in Christ - but the world hasn't changed.  We still have to live, work and survive in the same old world.  Our attitudes, mind set and life style has changed -- but as time goes on our enthusiasm may wane.  Hang in there.  Remember Hebrews 3:14 - we have to "hold the beginning of our confidence to the end."  In other words, just don't give up and you can be a "partaker with Christ."   
         Lay aside the weights of sin - do not let them "beset" you.  Have patience.  Persevere - run the race that is set before you.  Remember all of those faithful followers of God who never gave up.  As He gives us the examples of those who had faith in Him - those He rewarded because they diligently sought Him - I think God is trying to tell us -- "Look, these folks did it - you can, too!  You can run your own race. Just don't give up!"  
          You see my friends, if we start this race - this journey with our Lord - and then we stop in the middle of it -- well it won't matter how far we had gotten if we don't cross the finish line.  If we give up on our Christian lives all that we have done will be lost and so will we!! We will be no better off than if we had never started to run!  In fact, God's word tells us that after knowing and obeying God's will and then turning back to our old life, we will actually be worse off than in the beginning.  How sad that would be!  Don't allow yourself to lose what you have gained. 

        One more passage from God's word, Matthew 24:10-13 -"And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.  And many false prophets shall rise and shall deceive many.  And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved."  The promises are there and God is faithful to keep His promises. 

Just don't give up - ever.  

Christ above all things, 
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment