Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Common Courtesy - Making the World a Better Place

          Do you know what common courtesy is?  Have you ever heard the term or is it outdated?  What about "proper etiquette?"  It seems to me it is certainly in short supply these days.  Have we lost touch of part of something that was best in all of us?
          Mom was a teacher at the same elementary school that all three of my boys attended.  Since we live right next door, the boys were blessed to be able to ride back and forth to school with her instead of riding the school bus.  One afternoon on the way home Grandmother and Alex (our middle son) had a pretty serious conversation.  I don't remember how old he was -- probably only in first grade.  Mom asked Alex what kind of day he had.   He told her he had "kinda gotten in trouble today."  Naturally she was curious and asked what happened.  I wasn't there, but from what I was told and what I remember - the conversation when something like this. 
          Alex said, "Well the teacher got on to me for answering all the questions out loud.  But I knew all the answers."
         "What did she say?" Mom asked. 
           "She said I should give someone else a chance.  She told me even if I knew all the answers I shouldn't say them all.  I should let others have a turn."
          "Well,  I can understand that," Mom replied.  "When you say all the answers, it's kind of like stealing.  You are taking someone else's turn - someone else's chance to answer.  We have to learn to think about others and let them answer questions, too."  
            Nothing much was said after that.   But Alex was staying with Mom until Robert and I got home from work.  My Dad came home before we did.  When he saw Alex,  he asked him how his day had been - and Alex said,  "Well I got in trouble for stealing today."
Dad was incredulous.  I can only imagine the look on his face.  "What did you say?"  He was in a slight panic until Mom came in the room and quickly explained what really happened. 
           Mom had taught Alex to be courteous and considerate of others.  Thank you, Mom!!  It seems like so many children today don't even know what "manners" are.  They don't understand that it is polite to ask for something nicely and then say "Please."  Nor do they realize that saying"thank you,"  and "you're welcome" are totally appropriate.  It is what used to be called common courtesy.  I was taught to treat others with respect; to let others have their turn; to be considerate of other people's feelings; to use the magic words.  (Please, thank you, you're welcome, ma'am and sir to name a few).
           A few years after the "stealing" conversation, Alex was with me one afternoon and we were going through a drive through restaurant.  He was about 12 or 13 -- you know the age your kids are when all of a sudden you became a total idiot in their eyes.  To top it off they somehow magically, as if almost overnight - they have been endowed with all knowledge from all the ages.  They know everything.  If you have ever had teenagers, you know what I am talking about. 
          Anyway, back to the story - we were in the drive through and I was placing our order.  The lady who was taking my order - repeated it back to me -- and asked if that would be all I needed -- you know the drill.  During the conversation,  I said "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" as I spoke to her.  While driving around to get our food Alex said, "Mom, you know the person in there is probably only 16 or 17 years old and you are a grown up person and you were saying ma'am to her."  I told Alex that it didn't matter what age someone was -- that being courteous and showing respect to others is always the right thing to do.
           OK Robin that's all well and good.  Where are the scriptures to back you up on all this common courtesy and manners and stuff?  Well how about the Golden Rule for one?
That's in Matthew 7:12.   "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."  There are many many other verses, but it is getting late so I will only share a couple more. 
 Romans 5:14 - "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." 
Philippians 2:3 - "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory: but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."
          Common courtesy is nothing more than being kind to one another.  It is showing respect to each other (esteeming each other).  It is treating others as you would them  treat you.  And it is all scriptural!  It is just the way Christ wants us to treat others.  Not to mention the fact that you reap what you sow and simple kindnesses will come back to you tenfold.
          Can you imagine how much better our world would be if everyone showed consideration toward others like they should?  Why don't we try it?  It won't take much to get started.  And our life on our earth will be blessed because we have made the world a better place.

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment