Sunday, March 3, 2013

Peter's Walk on Water

      Well, I am now into my third month with this blog.  I know I haven't posted every day, but I have only missed a few.  I want to thank all my friends for their positive feedback and encouragement.  This has been a good experience for me in many ways.  My writing has prompted me to study God's word more, to think more deeply on how I can take what I am learning and apply these lessons to my everyday life.  It has also caused me to examine myself perhaps much more closely than I have ever done.  I have learned and grown from this experience and that is a good thing, for we are all always supposed to be growing.  So again, thank you for the encouragement you have given me. 
       Studying the Bible more has allowed me to get to know more about Bible characters, too.  I think it is important to understand that these people were human just like you and me.  They either resisted temptation and served the Lord like some of us do; or they chose to follow a different path like folks do sometimes.  Some of these people loved God, but made mistakes and then came back to the Lord to serve Him faithfully.  You see, we are all human - which means we are prone to mistakes and moments of weakness.  We might fall into temptation from time to time and then struggle to get back on the right path.  As we stumble and realize that we have sinned -- it breaks our heart.  We may even weep over our mistakes.  I am so thankful that Godly sorrow leads to repentance.  And when we have been lost, but are found again, then angels in heaven rejoice over our repentance. 
       These thoughts bring to mind the apostle Peter.  When I think of Godly sorrow --when I think of our sins causing us to weep, I remember how scripture says that Peter wept after he denied the Lord.  We discussed Peter  in our ladies Bible class this morning.  He always seemed so impulsive and sometimes even wishywashy.  He would speak up with some bold statement and then only a short time later start to back pedal.  Sometimes I feel sorry for Peter.  Maybe it is because I can identify with him.  There are occasions when I act impulsively or speak too boldly without thinking.  I have had to back pedal before too.  Have any of you ever had to do that? 
        Ah, but I digress -- back to our ladies' class this morning.  The particular incident in Peter's life under discussion this this morning was when he walked on the water with Jesus and then he began to sink.  He had to ask the Lord for help.  "Lord, save me," said Peter.  I usually hear this lesson in the context of Peter losing his focus or taking his eyes off Jesus.  It is certainly true that he did just that.  It is also true that when he called upon Christ, He was right there.  Jesus was ready, willing and able to pull Peter out of the water.  And though he chastised him for his "little faith;" He also compassionately saved Peter, the man who would ultimately be so loyal to Him.
        Have you ever thought about why Peter lost his focus?  I mean really what made him take his eyes off Jesus and look around anyway?  What was he thinking when he first stepped out on that water.  Do you think he had the feeling of power?  Is it possible that he thought "Oh, wow - look what I'm doing?" Maybe he started thinking, after he got out there on that water -- that he didn't need Jesus anymore.  Of course, I don't know.  I can only speculate; but is it possible that Peter started looking around because maybe he thought he didn't have to focus so particularly on the Lord?  Maybe for some reason he began to think if would be OK to look around.  I mean, he could have been thinking, "Oh, I've got it now. I am doing this --let's see what I can see." 
       Of course, I know that may not have been at all what Peter had in his mind.  These are simply my thoughts -- but isn't it a possibilty?  Something made Peter change focus.  What about you?  Have you ever worked so hard and so long on a project for your employer and then it's over and you pass it up to your superiors at work.  You did a great job and they tell you so.  Maybe you did such a good job you got a bonus or a raise.  You are proud of yourself and you look back on it and you think - I did this.  You have lost your focus.  You forgot to give God any credit for getting you through all those long hours; for giving you the intelligence, talent and perserverance to do the job.  Maybe you get to feeling pretty pround of yourself and then something comes along and happens in your life and suddenly you are brought back to full attention.  One of life's storms is about to overpower you and you start sinking - like Peter did --and then, -- then that's when you call on the Lord.  In the turbulence of the storm, you cry out, "Lord, save me."  ????  Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone but me? 
       We must acknowledge that we need the Lord.  We must remember that we are nothing without Jesus.  He saves us.  His blood is what washes us clean.  We cannot save our selves.  We need Him for that.  If we ever think we can make it on our own, we are grossly mistaken and the saddest of all folks.  We need Christ in our lives.  We need His saving grace.  And we need to keep our focus on Him - even while the storms rage around us.  If we are walking in the light, then we cry out to the Christ for help just like Peter did.  And He will be there waiting.  He will stretch out His hand and pull you into the safety of His boat. 
        Of course, the best thing to do would be to just focus on Jesus all the way.  Then when the storms come - you already know He will be there - right there.  He will be that close and He will bring help that fast. 

As Christians we can't get through this life without Jesus and we certainly cannot get to our other life in heaven without Jesus   

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment