Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Weathering the Storm

We never know what life is going to throw at us.  When I was a teenager, I thought my adult life was going to be absolutely wonderful.  I would have the job I wanted.  Live in the right house, in the nicest neighborhood, in the best city.  I thought I would have the kindest, best-looking husband, and perfect children. 

I thought this would happen because I would be the one to “make” it happen.  Everything would be my choice.  I would choose my career and pick out my house.  Then real life found its way to me and the devil came with it. 

Now that I’m older (and wiser, I hope) I understand I can’t control every circumstance of my life.  Sometimes things happen as a result of bad choices true; but sometimes things just happen. 

When mom was in fourth grade the house they lived in burned.  I’ve heard her talk about how frightened she was.  They lost material things; but thankfully no one was hurt.  It was something that just happened. 

I know people weathering all sorts of storms right now through no fault of their own.  They’ve lost life-time jobs during this pandemic.  They’ve taken on the role of caregiver for parents or their spouse.  It’s not something we think about often; but it happens. 

Many of us lost loved ones over the past couple of years.  I know parents who go through many sleepless nights because they are concerned about the condition of their child’s soul.  

Ecclesiastes 9:11 brings great comfort to me.  Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to those with knowledge, but time and chance happen to them all.”

It is the last part of the verse which brings me comfort because it tells me things just happen sometimes.  This passage helps me realize that at some point in time all of us have weathered at least one storm.  At least that is what I think of. 

I think most of what I wanted as a teenager was to make my own choices. I wanted that “control” most of us want when we are that age.  As we grow and mature as Christians, we realize it is God who is in control.  It is up to us trust and obey him. 

Even the most faithful among us will go through tragic, heart breaking stuff.  The fastest runner does not always win.  But the winners always finish.  In the Christian race, it is not speed that counts.  It is love and faithfulness. 

We cannot give up!  When life gets so very tough and we don’t know how we will make it, we need to hang on to our faith. Stand fast. Our God will help us make it.

“Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved.” Psalm 55:22

 Christ above all things - Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment