Monday, September 6, 2021

Did You Go See Her?

 Did You Go See Her?

Years ago, I was an assistant teacher in the 2 and 3-year-old class on Wednesday night. There were about four students in that class and they were very busy little children. One Wednesday, one of the little boys announced that his great-grandmother had died.
The teacher and I both knew about this. It was announced on Sunday and I think the funeral was either Monday or Tuesday. Her passing was still fresh on the little boy’s mind.
The teacher, in a quiet, gentle voice said. “I know. I heard about that and I’m so sorry.” The little boy than asked – “Do you know her? Did you ever go over there?” I never thought a child so young would think about asking that question. But here this little one was asking.
The teacher nodded and said, “Yes. My husband and I went to see her a couple of times when she got so sick.” Our young student nodded when she said that. I think he was glad that his Bible class teacher knew his great-grandmother.
That young man is now grown and married. He attends another congregation not too far away and helps with the youth ministry there. He loves to serve the Lord!
Ladies, this still hits home to me. I am not nearly as good at visiting as I should be. I do sometimes, but I know I should do more. I am so thankful for those in our congregation who do such a great job taking care of their sisters and brothers in Christ!
Oh what an example we can set for the young souls around us when we do things for others. I do not know if the young man even remembers this conversation from so long ago. But I do know, as young as he was, it meant a lot to him at the time.
He knew someone he loved had been shown love by someone from the church. Think about it for a moment. How important was it for him to know this? How important is it for any child to know the church is like a family and we all love and care for one another?
Our children should feel safe, happy, and loved when among the members of their home congregation. They should be able to feel the joy we share as we gather together for worship or any other kind of activity.
I’ve used this passage before, but I think it is an important one to remember. Jesus said in John 13:35 – “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Shouldn’t this start with our children?
Christ above all things - Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment