Monday, September 13, 2021

Living Sacrifices

Sometimes ordinary, everyday people do wonderful things for the cause of Christ.   

There are two wonderful ladies who help with the North Mississippi Ladies’ Retreat.  They live about three hours away; but they attend every year.  A few years back they offered to help us with our folders.

The folders contain articles, poems, and other written materials pertinent to our selected theme.   They do a fantastic job with this.  Their work is a blessing to all of us.    

One year on Friday morning as we prepared to leave I received a phone call.  It was Andrea.  She just found out her sister was in intensive care in the hospital in Jackson, MS.  It is a little more than 160 miles from Durant to Tishomingo State Park.  Andrea and Melanie were already on their way here when she heard about her sister. 

As I spoke with Andrea, I could hear the concern in her voice.  In the back of my mind, I kept saying "God, please let her sister be OK."  This was quickly followed with "we can have a retreat without folders - we don't have to have them -- it will be alright. She needs to get to her sister."  My mind raced between these two thoughts.  

 Then she said something I did not expect.  She said they were about an hour away from Tupelo and if someone could meet them there, we could still have our folders.   These two women were willing to travel another hour to meet us.  Naturally, the extra hour would have to be traveled back.  This meant it would take an extra two hours for Andrea to get to her sister.  I was overwhelmed with emotion!  

I almost told her not to worry about it -- we would be fine.  I knew she wanted to get to Jackson as quickly as possible.  But somehow I knew bringing the folders to us was what they needed to do.  

We worked it out.  One of our ladies (also named Melanie) was leaving for the park a little later than the rest of us.  When I called her to explain the situation, she was quite happy to meet them -- even though it meant more driving for her too.  

What do you say to women like that?  I mean, really!  Well what can you say except thank you?  Thank you for what you do. 

They all went out of their way for a wonderful work that glorifies God and encourages other women.  To me, they were living sacrifices.  And because I know them personally, I know it is a part of who they are.  It came as naturally for them as breathing.

For me this series of events demonstrated what people do for one another when God is in control of their lives.  Everything  fell into place like a puzzle waiting to be completed.  God will always bless a work that is for His glory.  

The point is that our sacrifices aren't always "some great thing," as Naaman's servants reminded him (2 Kings 5:12-14).  Being a living sacrifice means putting Christ first every day.  Sometimes it means doing little things for others - showing kindness to the co-worker who gets on your last nerve -- reading a bedtime story to your child or grandchild when you're so tired you can barely hold your own eyes open. 

It could mean bigger things too -- like giving part of the money you saved up for Christmas to someone who really needs it.  Those who live for Christ make sacrifices of all kinds.  God is always pleased with loving acts of service to others. 

“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.”  Romans 12:2

Christ above all things - Robin

        


No comments:

Post a Comment