Saturday, September 25, 2021

A Big Ole' Diamond

I keep thinking I've told this story before, but I cannot find it.  If this is something I've already posted, I apologize for the duplication.  
My middle son Alex has always had a generous heart.  He likes to show his love for others by giving them things.  One year when he was pretty young, Alex set his heart on buying something for his grandmother.  Her birthday was coming up soon. 
He wanted to give her a gift just from him. Mom used to collect elephants. She had several in her collection and they were beautiful. Alex decided he would buy her an elephant keychain. He knew she loved elephants.
We took him shopping. The store had a large selection of keychains on one of those display stands that turn. I remember we looked that display over from top to bottom.
There were all kinds of key chains. They had just about anything you could imagine – except one with an elephant on it. Not even one anywhere in that store. None at all.
I was so sad for Alex. I knew how much he wanted to give his grandmother an elephant keychain. He finally looked up at us and said, “Well if I can’t give her one with an elephant on it, I guess I will have to get that big ole diamond up there.” And he pointed to where it was.
Robert reached up for it and I could see why Alex had called it a diamond. It was a round or spherical shaped crystal prism. It was really pretty. The “diamond” reflected the light in several different bright colors.
Alex said he hoped Grandmother would like her ‘big ole diamond’ since he couldn’t find an elephant. I smiled and told him she would love it, especially when she found out it came from him.
When Mom opened her gift, she did love it. Alex explained that he tried to find an elephant key chain, but never could so he got her the diamond instead. She gave him a hug and told him it was just right.
Sometimes when we think about the majesty and power of God, we are so humbled. God created us – He is the giver of all life. We are nothing without Him. Literally.
Yet, He loves and blesses us continually. James tells us “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” (James 1:17)
Of course, the most perfect gift was His Son’s sacrifice for our sin. We can never repay Christ for what He did for us.
Oh, Alex wanted to give his grandmother that elephant keychain. In the end all he could give was what he called ‘a big ole’ diamond.’ And in the end it was quite enough for her.
God doesn’t want any “thing” from us. He wants our love, our obedience, our loyalty.
What God wants is all we can give. He wants us. In the end, that will be enough.
Christ above all things -Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment