Friday, March 28, 2014

The Center of Your Life

    I was getting ready for work.  It was the normal morning routine that so many of us go through every day.  I was brushing my teeth when suddenly out of nowhere I remembered teaching my children to brush their teeth.  Our kids are grown now.  I haven't had little ones around for a long time, so why I thought of this I will never know.  Yet I remembered each little face so clearly. 
     Most parents love their children very much and go to great lengths to take care of them.  Part of parenting is teaching them such basics as how to dress themselves and brush their teeth.  We want our children to learn to live healthy happy lives.  That takes time and effort.  Our kids are worth it though, right?
     Life goes on and children grow up.  Time has a way of doing that.  With the boys on my mind, my thoughts raced through the years of their childhood.  Pictures of them at different ages rolled through my memory as if on parade.  Most of the time, it is such a joy to be a parent!
     Once in a while, I miss those times when my children were younger - the times when I could hold them in my lap and sing songs to them or read books to them.  I remember the times when all they ever wanted was to be with you; when they shared every part of their lives with you. I began to think of all the things we shared when they were little -- every accomplishment, every heartache, every fear and every joke.  Still in front of the mirror, I was missing the times when I was pretty much the center of their lives.
     Then my thoughts turned to those somewhat rebellious teen years.  I remembered the challenges and how each child went through their own growing pains.  Those were the days when we weren't so close.  I suppose all that reminiscing made me want to talk to my sons. All of a sudden I had a strong desire to tell them how much I loved them and how proud I was of them. 
     Just as quickly as all these thoughts and feelings ran through my mind, a new idea entered my brain. I thought of God - my Heavenly Father.  I began to realize He probably knew how I was feeling.  Actually, I voiced the question in my mind.  "Is this how I make You feel God?  Do You miss the times when You were the center of my life?  Does it sadden You during the times when I am rebellious -- when I am not so close to You?"  Yes, my thoughts - my conversation with Him was very personal that morning.
     I answered my own questions.  I know the Word tells me  God loves me.  I have read how the Lord longs to be with and bless His people.  Over and over again throughout the Old Testament, God tells the Israelites that if they will but follow Him - obey Him --love Him -- He will be among them.  He promises to bless and prosper them.  God protects them and cares for His own. 
     The Father has not changed.  He still takes great joy in fellowship with those who love Him and seek to please Him.  God loves to listen to all our fears and heartaches.  He loves to hear about our accomplishment.  I believe He loves to see us happy and have fun too.  God is our perfect parent.  He desires to be there for us.   Just as I had the desire to talk with my sons that morning, God wants talk with us every morning. 
     Our children may outgrow their need to be with us all the time; but we never outgrow the need for God in our lives.  He longs for us to share our life with Him.  I'm always blessed so much more when I choose to remember Him, when I pray and talk with Him.  I am always encouraged when I study from the scriptures and learn more about Him.  God blesses me when I walk with Him.  I know this, but I don't always remember it. 
      We live in a dark and crazy world.  It seems we are always racing to and fro.  We have to take care of this and then go somewhere else to take care of that.  We don't always remember what we know is good for us.  God is good for us.  Putting God first in our lives is good for us.  Ah, how happy we make the Father when we do remember this! 

Make God the center of your life.  He will shower His blessings down on you!

Christ above all things,
Robin
    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment