Saturday, March 22, 2014

Can Jesus Entrust Himself to You?

       Studying the scriptures is a wonderful way to learn more and more about our Father and His Son, our Savior.  As I dig deeper into the Word, I find myself wishing I had realized the value of Bible study when I was younger.  But it does no good to dwell on missed opportunities.  I should be (and I am) thankful that I have the time and wherewithal to study and learn now. 
       I just started reading and studying through the gospel of John.  The last three verses of John Chapter 2 caught my attention and the passage has been on my mind ever since then.  It posed a question to my own heart and prompted prayer and self-examination as I tried to answer that question.  I think it is worthy of consideration for all of us.
       John 2:23-25 states:  "Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many believed in His name when they saw the signs that He was doing.  But Jesus on His part did not entrust Himself to them, because He knew all people, and needed no one to bear witness about man, for He himself knew what was in man."  (ESV)
     Here Jesus has just begun His ministry.  He has begun to gather disciples to Him.  Earlier in this chapter John records that Andrew brought his brother Peter to see the Christ and Phillip brings his friend Nathanael to Him also.  Jesus performed his first miracle by  turning water into wine.  John 2:11 says Jesus "This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee and manifested forth His glory, and His disciples believed on Him."
     Then Jesus went up to Jerusalem for the Passover and cleansed the temple when He found the money changers there.  When the Jews questioned Him about this, He told them if they destroy "this temple," He will raise it up again in three days.  Jesus is speaking of His death and resurrection; but the Jews scoffed at Him because they thought He referred to the temple there in Jerusalem.
     So there we have it - the beginning of His ministry.  His first disciples, His first miracle and His confrontation with the Jewish leaders who opposed Him from the very beginning.  The more I study about the life of Jesus, the more I realize how difficult it must have been -- what a sacrifice it all must have been for Him.  He tried so hard to teach His disciples about Himself and the Father.  He had people following Him only for what He could do for them and then He had the Jewish leaders always dogging Him about something. 
     In John 2:23, already quoted above, we see that "many believed in His name because of the signs (miracles) that He was doing.  But He didn't entrust Himself to them.  The phrasing here seems to say that though they believed in Him, they were not yet ready to understand who He really was.  They believed in Him because of the signs.  But did they really? 
     In Matthew 16 and Luke 11, it is recorded that the people wanted a sign from Jesus.  They were testing Him.  It was like they were saying --"OK, if you are who you say you are, then prove it."  Yet, He had already shown them so many signs.  Jesus goes on to tell them there will be no sign given, except the sign of Jonah.  
     So go back to John 2 - even though some of the people had begun to believe on Him, they did not understand who He truly was.  Although some did come to realize that Jesus was the Christ, many of them never got it.  Jesus knew it was not the time yet to trust anyone with this information. He knows the hearts of all men.  He knows what man is like.  He has always known.  As the Son of God, Jesus didn't need anyone to tell Him this. 
      Jesus still knows the hearts of all men (mankind).  He knows right now what we think about Him and how we feel.  If He were here with us today, could Jesus entrust Himself to us?  Would we introduce Him to everyone we met as the Son of God?  Could He count on us to stand for Him -- to protect and honor Him if need be?  Could He trust us to love and care for Him -- feed Him and shelter Him if need be? 
     Mmmmm ... Jesus is here now.  He IS with us everyday -- or at least He wants to be.  The questions in the paragraph above are the ones I have been asking myself over the past few days.  Can Jesus trust me?  Do I take Him with me everywhere I go?  Sometimes, I fail miserably.  I don't always take the opportunities given to me to serve Him.  I don't always honor His name.  Oh, Jesus knows my heart.  He knows when I succeed in serving Him and He knows when I don't. 
      You know all that loving and caring and feeding and sheltering I mentioned?  Well we show that in our dealings with others.  When we take a meal, or visit the hospital, make a phone call to check on someone - we are feeding, visiting and checking on our Lord and Savior.  The great judgment scene in Matthew 25 clearly tells us this.  Christ said, "as you did it to one of the least of these, my brothers, you did it to me." 
      Can Jesus trust Himself to me?  Well, that's something I need to work on a little more.  How about you?

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment