Saturday, March 8, 2014

    One Monday morning a couple of weeks ago, it was pretty cold in our neck of the woods.  There was some ice on the roads.  Our cars were iced over and so were the steps on our front porch.  When he tried to leave for work, my husband's car wouldn't start.  He had to call in and was late for work, but finally somehow got his vehicle to start.  What was a big hassle for him turned out to be a blessing for me. 
    We usually don't see very much of each other that early in the morning; but I got to spend a few minutes with my husband before he left that day.  This is not the normal routine for us.  Truthfully, I am usually still asleep when he leaves.  His work day starts an hour before mine does. 
    It was fun to spend some extra time with him, but that wasn't the end of it.  As I was getting ready myself, he started my car for me so it would be warming up.  I loved that.  A few minutes later, we both walked out together.  He helped me down our icy, slippery steps.  I must admit, it was really nice having him there Monday morning.  I felt blessed, even though we were out some unexpected funds because he had to buy a new battery for his vehicle. 
     As I drove to work, the roads really were icy especially on the bridges.  I passed two wrecks where cars had skidded off the road.  And another incident nearly happened right in front of me.  But the driver of careening car responded quickly and was able to gain control with no harm done.  I was truly thankful. 
      Safely at work, I checked my cell phone.  I had a text message from my oldest son telling me to be careful on the way to work.  He sent it earlier in the morning; but I hadn't checked it then.  It made me feel pretty special to know he had thought of me that morning. 
      Actually I'm truly blessed to have three very caring sons.  At different times in the past few weeks, I've had at least one text from each of them.  They all turned out to be very dear to my heart.  A few days after February 14th, my middle son sent a text saying he was sorry he forgot me on Valentine's Day.  He boosted my spirits by sending his love and wishes for a good day. 
     The text from my youngest son came on a night when I was still at work.  There was a tornado watch for our area and thunderstorms were raging all around us.  It was particularly bad at home.  My son was concerned about me driving in the bad weather. His text cautioned me to "call Dad" before I left work to make sure it was OK to come home because "it's pretty bad here right now."   What a joy it is to have three such considerate sons and a husband who is also kind and helpful.  
     We all know these moments don't happen every day.  They are the special, one of a kind moments that touch your heart and live in your memory banks forever.  These are our treasures and we cherish them.  Usually though, life is a little more -- well a little more ordinary.  That's OK, though.  We know these blessings come from God, our Father and even the ordinary days are worth living because of the love He has for us. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment