Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Importance of a Positive Influence

     She lived in a town about 120 miles away.  In our whole lives we only saw each other a few times.  We were at the same Christian ladies' event every year for the past six years.  Yet, I will probably never forget her.  I always looked forward to greeting her and her friends  as they came through the door of our meeting place at the North Mississippi Ladies Retreat at Tishomingo State Park.  I could hardly wait for the warm greetings and all the hugs I got from everyone. 
      Influence can be so powerful.  Sometimes even those we barely know can have a lasting impact on our life.  I don't think we always understand the potential we have to do good for God; nor do we realize that sometimes a small gesture of kindness executed at just the right moment will be remembered for a lifetime.  That old familiar saying is true - we always remember how others make us feel. 
       I've been thinking for several days about the significance of a good influence.  Perhaps it is because the sweet Christian sister I mentioned in the first paragraph passed away suddenly last week.  Jane (not her real name) was a Christian wife and mother.   Again, I didn't know her very well.  I never met her family.  I had never even been to her home.  We don't have to know someone really well for them to have a positive enduring influence on  our lives.
     We can show kindness to strangers.  People we barely know can benefit from our goodness to them.  As a child, I remember my Dad stopping to help a man change a flat tire in pouring rain.  That was not just a one time thing.  He helped folks out on more than one occasion. If anyone ever asked Dad what they owed him, he would just shake their hand and say something like "Oh just go worship the Lord on Sunday, how about that?" 
     I've been the recipient of helpful deeds like this myself.  Hopefully, we all have.  It is truly wonderful to be blessed by someone else's actions.  It is even more wonderful to be able to bless others.  Ah, but I digress.  'Jane' blessed me and probably never even really knew it. 
    Just because I didn't know her well, doesn't mean I didn't know some things about her character.  We can learn a lot about someone by simply observing them and how they interact with others.  First of all,  Jane was a good friend.  I could tell that much simply by watching her with her friends.  It was obvious that they all cared for one another and shared a strong bond. 
     Proverbs 17:17 says, "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."  And in Proverbs 18:24, we see "A man that hath friends must show himself friendly, and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother."  I think this Christian woman was a good friend -- the kind that loves at all times. 
     "A merry heart does good like medicine," (Proverbs 18:22a).  'Jane' enjoyed having a good time.  During our skits and get acquainted activities she laughed and smiled along with the rest of us.  She was quieter than some of the other ladies.  She wasn't one to seek being in the spotlight; but she became friends with one of the ladies from our home congregation.  They often joked and picked with one another.  So Jane was a good sport who liked to laugh and make new friends. 
    She was also faithful.  Jane was probably faithful in many aspects of her life.  In Luke 16:10a Christ says, "He that is faithful in that which is least is also faithful in much."  Now I know I'm probably taking this scripture out of context, for here Jesus has been talking about the unjust steward who is yet shrewd in business.  But the general idea seems to ring true to what I'm saying.   She was faithful in attending the retreat, that's for sure.  If she was faithful in coming to the retreat -- if  being there at a Christian event meant that much to her, then this good woman was probably faithful in many activities and works for the Lord. 
      Jane was given to hospitality.  We all know Christians are to be kind and tenderhearted.  We are to love one another.  I think Jane showed love to her fellow Christians.  Once, my parents and two other couples visited the congregation where Jane attends.  She and her husband took care of the lunch meal for these three extra couples.  I think they went out to eat; but this couple made sure six other people felt welcomed and were fed that day.  They took the time to fellowship with them.
     Fellowship - Jane enjoyed fellowship with other Christian women.  Why else would you come to a retreat every year for six years (and possibly more)?  She loved being among her Christian sisters.  Women don't come to those kinds of events unless they love them ... unless they gain something from being there.  Retreats are where we relax -- where we reach out to other Christian women  -- where we refresh our spirits -- and renew our courage and faithfulness.  Jane was there taking part in all of that.  At the end of Acts 2 we read how the Christians continued steadfastly not only in doctrine, but in fellowship.  I think Jane believed Christian fellowship was important.
      Perhaps what I remember most about Jane is her willingness to share her faith with others.  Last October our retreat theme was "Lifted Up on Wings of Eagles."  As part of our program on Saturday morning, we had a few ladies share what kept them "lifted up" as Christian women. Sharing with one another is a way to help us all grow.  It is one of my favorite parts of the retreat.
     I asked Jane to be one of those ladies to speak this past year.  She didn't hesitate in the least.  She never once offered an excuse or acted like she didn't want to do it.  She said yes right away!  Then she asked specific questions about what I wanted her to do.  This wasn't because she had second thoughts.  She only wanted to be clear in her mind about what was expected.  And that was because she took the request seriously and wanted to do it correctly.
     Jane was happy to speak about her faith and what kept her going -- what lifted her up.   When she spoke to us that morning she mentioned several things; but she primarily talked about her husband.  It was easy to see what a loving and supportive wife she was.  She told us how much she depended on him and how he helped her stay encouraged and happy about her service to the Lord.  If he did that for her,  well then -- I knew that love and support had to be mutual.   It was clear to me that their partnership was solid. 
      Realizing how much this dear lady influenced me through the few brief times we were together helped me understand just how important influence really is.  We can do so much good in the world.  We can truly let our lights shine.  That's what 'Jane' did - simply by being herself.  People watch us all the time.  They see what we do and they hear what we say.  As Christians who truly love our Savior, we must understand how vital it is to show Him to others.
We can't even begin to talk to someone about Jesus if we don't ACT like we know Him. 

I know Jane knew Him --- do you?

Christ above all things,
Robin


     



No comments:

Post a Comment