Friday, April 18, 2014

The Turkey in My Front Yard

     I have a purple turkey in my front yard.   He has been here for almost two weeks now.  Oh, he's quite a flamboyant character, as you can imagine a purple turkey would be.  Yet he is rather charming to be around.  He has taken over a prominent place in our flower bed and I see him every time I open my front door.  My purple turkey makes me smile.
     I know you realize this is not a live animal.  There is no such thing as a purple turkey (as far as I know).  I'm not sure what one might call him.  I call these guys pinwheels,  wind spinners or garden spinners.  He is like the pinwheels that young children play with from time to time, only he is big enough to be used as a lawn ornament in our little flower garden. 
    My purple turkey has two wheels that spin - one is slightly bigger than the other.  As the wind blows, the wheels spin in opposite directions.  The pin wheels are the turkey's bright purple tail feathers.  When the wind comes dancing through our little flower bed, the wheels spin furiously around. 
    Actually, we didn't even know the yard ornament was a turkey when we bought him. My husband and I were passing time in an in-door flea market while we waited for a mechanic to finish some needed repairs on my car. This is where we found our treasure.
     Both of us had a good time looking at all the various items for sale.  We saw furniture, books, clothes, tools and all kinds of little knick knacks.  You name it - it was probably at that flea market! We each found several things we liked; but not knowing how much money we would soon be forking over for car repairs, we were not in a position to buy anything. 
     Oh, but it was really fun to look around!  We had a good time -- and I was so happy that my husband was not in a foul mood over the car.  We relaxed and enjoyed being together.  We had almost made a complete loop around the market when we found the garden spinners.  They had different colors; but we liked the purple one.  They were only $3.00, so we got one.  It was only after we were back home and my husband put it together that we realized we had a purple turkey on our hands! 
     Now I know this little story doesn't really have a spiritual application.  The Bible doesn't mention purple turkeys or lawn ornaments ( I don't think).  But stick with me please.  You see, my car had already been in the shop earlier in the week.  We had already spent a pretty good deal of money and it still wasn't running well. 
     I had confided in my Dad that I was concerned about paying for further repairs.  Dad has always been full of faith.  He has always been confident that God would take care of him in any situation.  So his response to me was, "God will provide."  He has always been such a great encourager.  This comment alone helped me to relax as we waited while we looked around the flea market. 
     Dad's encouragement is always a blessing - a spiritual blessing as it is a reminder to me that I should not let life circumstances take my focus away from my God.  Ephesians 1:3 says, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:"  
     A second blessing was my husband's reaction to the whole situation.  Honestly, I was concerned that the problems with the car might cause him to be upset for the whole weekend.  Instead, he took it all in stride.   Matthew 7:12 tells us, “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (ESV)  Once Robert spoke to the mechanics himself he knew they were dealing honestly with us. He seemed to relax and I was quite relieved. 
    The best part of the day was the companionship I shared with my husband while we were at the flea market.  We don't often get to spend that much time together and this was something we both enjoyed.  We really did have fun. 
    Most of us understand what a blessing a good marriage can be.  "He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." (Proverbs 18:22 ESV)  I'm sure most wives would also agree that is a good thing to find a good husband.  When a marriage is mutually beneficial to each partner, then both partners are obtaining favor from the Lord. 
    Finally consider this scripture ...it is Matthew 7:11 - the verse just before Jesus gives us the "golden rule," quoted earlier.  To me, this verse fits perfectly with my memory of this day. "If you thenwho are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him."
By the way, when we picked up the car, the cost was minimal.  We were truly blessed.
     When we got home, Robert put our garden spinner together.  Only then did we realize it was a turkey.  So yes, I have a purple turkey in my front yard.  I can see him every time I open my door.  He reminds of a day I was blessed in so many ways.  It was a day that I knew God was present in my life.  My purple turkey makes me smile.
    I pray that you will be able to recognize all the blessings (both great and small) that God puts in your life each day.  Our Heavenly Father is so good to us!

Christ above all things,
Robin
      
    

No comments:

Post a Comment