Sunday, May 19, 2013

All God's Benefits and Tender Mercies (Psalms 103)

       Today has been a wonderful day.  If I counted correctly today is the 139th day of the year and tonight is the 100th time for me to post on this blog.  I just wanted to share that little tidbit of information. 
       I can name many other more important reasons that today has been so great.  I was blessed to have been able to worship God twice today.  I heard two good lessons from God's word.  The weather was beautiful, and to top it all off I had the honor of sitting with a very sweet young man at worship this evening.  I was quite happy and surprised that one of the little fellas in our church family came to sit by me tonight.  I love these little ones -- I love to watch them learn and grow.  Young children are so very precious!  I think sometimes we forget that it is God who gives life.  Each child - each life - has a purpose.  We should all count it a blessing when a child chooses to spend time with us -- for that is a very special joy.  It is a unique opportunity to show love and to teach a child about God and His love.
       Speaking of counting our blessings and the wonderful today I have had today reminds me of one of my favorite Psalms -- that's Psalms 103.  My Dad gave a devotional on this passage several years ago and it has been one of my favorites ever since.  It is 22 verses of beautiful poetry, so naturally it is too long type the whole passage here -- or to discuss it verse by verse.  I strongly encourage you to read for yourself.  
       This beautiful Psalm begins and ends with "Bless the Lord, O my soul."  And it is packed with praise for our Heavenly Father in between.  Verses 2 and 3 tells us not to forget all His benefits.  The Psalmist David proclaims that God forgives all our iniquities and heals all our diseases.  He goes on to tell us that God redeems our life from destruction and crowns us with tender mercies.  What a beautiful portrait of a loving and forgiving Heavenly Father!  How wonderful it is to belong to him.  He executes righteousness for the oppressed.  
        David points out God's mercies - God is merciful, gracious and slow to anger.  Verse 10 says that God has not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.  Again, what a beautiful portrait of a loving and merciful God.  As sinful creatures we do not deserve the mercy of God.   If He dealt with us after our sin - if he rewarded us according to our iniquities then there is no way He would have sent His Son to die for us.  It is the blood of His precious Son which cleanses us from our sins.  Yes, verse 10 is a beautiful and powerful verse.  
      The verses continue and to me their beauty is unparalleled.  I know I said I would not type the whole Psalm here; but I cannot begin to say it any better than the inspired David said it.  This passage really needs no comment from me.  When you really really think about the mercy of God -- then your heart swells with love and adoration and praise just like David's did so long ago when he wrote this.  And he -David - knew full well what the forgiveness and mercy of God was all about.  His soul is full.... in verse 1 he says "Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name."  All that is within me -- every thing -- every thought - every emotion -- as I have heard some say - every fiber of David's being was blessing the Lord for His benefits and tender mercies.  
      So beginning with verse 10 and going through verse 18 ..(and please forgive me for not including the first 9 verses)  ..

     "He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.  
 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward them that fear  Him.    
    As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him.
     For He knoweth our frame; He remembereth that we are dust.
   As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
    For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
   But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children. 
   To such as keep His covenant, and to those that remember His commandments to do them."

     In thinking of all these truths -- all these awesome, wonderful, amazing blessings -- surely it is easy for us to see why David said "All that is within me, bless His holy name."

     In the last few verses of 103, David calls on the angels who excel in strength and do God's bidding to bless the Lord.  Then he calls on "His host, ministers of His that do His pleasure" to also bless Him.    This Psalm concludes with verse 22:  "Bless the Lord, all His works in all places of His dominion:  bless the Lord, O my soul."

      Beautiful  - absolutely remarkably beautiful!  He heals our sinsick souls.  He forgives our iniquities.  He redeems us - crowns us with His tender mercies.  He executes righteousness.  If we fear Him - if we belong to Him - He removes our transgressions "as far as the east is from the west."  He remembers we are dust .... nothing but dust.   His mercy lasts forever and ever. 

     Truly, it is no wonder - no wonder at all, why David said -"All that is within me, bless His holy name."  We should do no less. 

      Thank you, God for all your benefits and tender mercies.  I pray I never forget them.

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment