Thursday, July 28, 2022

More Better

 After being in Mississippi with Mom for the past thirteen weeks, my niece Elizabeth goes back to Chattanooga on Saturday.  It has been wonderful for her to be here.  Mom has loved it!  I love right next door, so I’ve loved it too!   

 We had a little get together in her honor last night.  We enjoyed a great meal and shared some laughs.  We also shared sweet memories of my dad.  We also gave her a gift – and that is the “more better” part of the story. 

 First a little background.  Mom and Dad rent pastureland to a friend of theirs.  He has several cows on the property.  Elizabeth enjoys watching the cows and their calves out in the field.    

 The gift Mom originally order did not come in on time.    So we went to plan B.   I would get something from the local gift and flower shop in the town where I work.  I ordered something online to be picked up at the store. 

 When I got to the store I saw a hand painted picture of a cow.  Wow!!  That is so perfect for Elizabeth.  But .. I had ordered another picture.   I went inside and told them I there to pick up my order. 

The ladies could not find the item I ordered.  They made a call to a co-worker and found out it was in a storage building a couple of blocks away.  One of them was going to get it for me.  I told them I changed my mind about that picture.

They were disappointed until I told them I wanted the cow picture in the window instead.  Boy, where they relieved!  They did a credit for the first order and I bought this cow picture. 

I was so excited and I told the ladies’ about my niece and the cows in the pasture and everything.  One of them said, “Well this was just meant to be.”  I totally agreed! 

Now I know “more better” is not grammatically correct.  However, there are times we mis-use words for emphasis.  I am here to tell you this cow picture was more better.   It was more fitting than the original gift.  And it was better than I ever imagined. 

I felt so great because I thought it was a lovely and fun little painting; but it was also very nicely done.  The artists’ work was top notch!  Elizabeth loved her gift!!

I have a dear Christian friend who would call this incident “a God thing.”  She is right on this. 

Unfortunately, we don’t always look for the blessings we have, but we should.  Scripture tells us “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.”  James 1:17

Finding that painting at just that time was a good gift.  In fact, it was just right!  So where did it come from?  James said it is from the “father of lights.” 

I guess that makes my friend right.  It was a “God thing.”  Oh, how He loves His children.  Oh how He works things out for us!   This is why we can say,  Bless the Lord, O my soul,   and forget not all his benefits,”  Psalm 103:2

 Christ above all things – Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment