Monday, April 11, 2022

Yoda Didn’t Have Anything On My Dad


This morning as I pulled into the parking lot at work, I had my eye on a certain parking space but it was the next row over. It all worked out. No one else slipped in ahead of me. BUT when I got closer to the spot I saw it was a little tighter than I first thought.
I hesitated for just a moment. Then thought, “I’m going to try this anyway.” As soon as those words came into my mind I heard Dad’s voice. “Don’t say you will try, Robin. Say you will do it.” I don’t know how many times he told me that while I was growing up.
When I got to my desk I thought about that quote by Yoda from Star Wars but I couldn’t remember the exact wording. I asked one of my co-workers. “Do or do not. There is no try.” That was it! But Dad pretty much said the same thing for years before Yoda ever came along.
“Don’t say you will try.” Yoda didn’t have anything over on my Dad! And yet, I suspect their motives were pretty much the same. For someone to say they will try to do something, leaves an indication that they may not do it.
It gives a person an out. Then when they “try” and don’t succeed, the person has a safety net. They can say, “Well, I told you I would try but it just didn’t work out.” To say we will try allows us to fail.
Dad was a strong believer in positive thinking. He often quoted Proverbs 23:7a “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” In other words, if you think you won’t meet that deadline at work, then you probably won’t.
One of his favorite passages is Romans 12:1-2 “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
Our minds – our thoughts have a great deal to do with how we behave and what we will accomplish. If we think positive thoughts, we will attract more and more positive people.
We will accomplish more in our lives. Our faith will grow knowing that our decisions to follow God’s will leads to many extra blessings in our lives.
Our thoughts lead to words and actions. If we want good things in our lives we must think good thoughts. So don’t try to be Christ like. Make that commitment. Let’s make up our minds to do it. Our heavenly Father will help us along the way.
Remember Philippians 4:13. “I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.”
Christ above all things - Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment