Tuesday, April 26, 2022

A Dog Named Victor

  Remember to tell your family how much you love them every day!  Let them know how special they are.  Encourage your children and grandchildren.  Thank your support network (whoever they may be) for always being there when you need them.  Remember to thank God for your talents and abilities.  Ask Him to help you use them for His glory!

 A Dog Named Victor

 A few years back Mom and Dad adopted a young dog.  He wasn’t a little puppy; but he wasn’t full grown yet either.  He was a mixed breed with a lot of black lab in him. 

 I think it was one of Mom’s former students who put a picture of him on social media.  I think he was a stray that ended up in his yard; but he already had a couple of dogs and couldn’t keep this one. My parents have always loved dogs – so they went and got this young fella to add to their family. 

Although he was an outside dog from the beginning my parents (especially Dad) took good care of him.  He was so friendly and loved to be petted.  The main thing though was he barked when anyone came up the driveway. 

Dad named him Victor.  

“Victor?” I thought.  “Who names a dog Victor?”  I remember some of us having a conversation with Dad.  We tried to talk him into a different name.  We mentioned several names saying I like this or I like so & so.  

Dad listened for a few minutes and then said, “Well, I like Victor.”  That was it.  I mean after all, he was their dog and I don’t suppose I would really like them trying to tell me what to name mine either.  Victor is a GREAT dog.  He loved Dad and followed him around just about everywhere outside. 

I don’t remember how old Victor is; but he isn’t all black anymore.  Victor has gray in his coat now.  But he still lets Mom know when someone comes up in the driveway.  When I pull up and open the car door, he comes to up to the car to be petted.  Sometimes he puts a front paw on my lap as if he is trying to get as close as he can. 

I still wonder why Dad picked that name for him.  I smile when I think about it.  I smile as I remember him sitting beside Dad on the patio or following him around out in the yard.  I could speculate on the reasons for the name, but that is all it would be – pure speculation.  

One thing is for sure – Victor continues to be a treasured member of the family.  Actually, he is a comfort to me because I can pet the dog Dad used to pet.  😊  I think that makes me the victor! 

God promises to be with us on our darkest days and in our deepest valleys.  Our Heavenly Father does not lie.  His presence in our lives gives us comfort and strength to face the day!

God is the giver of every good and perfect gift. Victor the dog is definitely a blessing. But the ultimate gift is eternal life in heaven!

But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”  
1 Corinthians 15:57

Remember God loves you more - Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment