Friday, August 13, 2021

I Don't Know How

Happy Saturday!  I hope everyone is ready for a great day today. 

I can't believe it has been three weeks since I posted here - the time has gotten away with me for sure.  I will do my best not be so long before I post again.  

I pray we all are blessed with peace, health and joy this weekend.  

I Don’t Know How
I don’t remember what we were doing that day so long ago. I only remember parts of the conversation – the parts that made my heart go out to him. It was when Alex was younger – before he started kindergarten. I think I had just finished reading a story to him. Anyway, it was just him and me.
We were talking and I mentioned how fast he was growing and that soon he would be in school and reading all kinds of books. He burst into tears and said, “I don’t want to go to school.” I was quite taken aback by this. It certainly wasn’t the reaction I expected.
“Why don’t you want to go to school?” I asked.
Still crying he said, “I don’t know how to read. Other kids will laugh because I don’t know how.”
Oh how my heart ached for my baby boy. What could I say? How would I ease his fears? I hugged him tightly and pulled him onto my lap. “Sweetheart, you will learn to read. Just like everyone else. The teachers will teach you letters and sounds and you will be reading before you know it.”
Remember this was thirty years ago. Back then things weren’t the way they are now. Children weren’t expected to walk into kindergarten reading already. The world has changed a lot since then.
God is our Heavenly Father and although we cannot comprehend it, he loves us so much more than we love our own children. Our Lord does not want us to hurt or worry or be afraid. There are things in our lives we don’t know how to handle. We can go to Him. God will help us.
When we first become Christians, we don’t always know how to act or what to do in certain situations. This is especially true during times we are tempted to go back to our old ways – to fall back into the same habits of sin. But scripture tells us God is faithful. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
We can rest on the assurance that our Father will not let us be tempted past our limits. He will always provide a way of escape. So when we are tempted, and we don’t think we know how we will resist – trust what His word says. Trust His promise, for He will help you “know how” to get past it.
Through the Holy Spirit we have the word of God. It tells us how to live and do what God would have us do. It is from the Bible we learn the commandments of Christ.
When we don’t know how to have peace, He will give us peace. When we don’t know how we will get through our times of heartache, God will give us comfort. When we are frightened because of our situation – (whatever it is) and we don’t know where to turn, God will be there.
When we don’t know how – God has promised to be there.
“The Lord is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth.” Psalm 145:18
Christ above all things – Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment