Saturday, August 24, 2019

Lighting Up the Whole Room

     Most of you who know me know how I love children.  I love to be around them, to talk with them,  and to listen to them.  We really can learn so much from them if we truly listen to what they have to say.  
     Perhaps this is why I love being a part of Maywood Christian Camp every year.  I get to be with beautiful children for an entire week.  We had the best little girls in Ashdod cabin this year!  Before you ask, yes I say that every year.  😊  But every year it is true because all children are a gift and every child is special in God's eyes, so they should be in ours too.  
      Anyway, this year one young lady in our cabin was very gentle, calm and soft-spoken.  She was at Maywood last year with her aunts, who are counselors of older girls; but this was the first time she was in a cabin as a 'real' camper.  We are so glad she was in Ashdod with us this year! 
      It was early in the week when I complimented this sweet child on her smile.  She wasn't too talkative; but she was always  bright and cheerful!  Seeing her happy face made me happy too!  "Your smile just lights up the whole room,"  I said.  Naturally, she beamed at my comment.  
      A couple of days later we were in the mess hall eating our lunch.  I was finished with the main course and walked up to the dessert table.  There was my little camper talking with another counselor who knew her.  
     As I stood beside her, I put my hand on her shoulder and told the other counselor,  "You know I'm SO glad I have this sweet girl in my cabin."  
     "Oh I'm sure you are," she responded.  "She's pretty special alright."
      As she chose her dessert and walked away, our young friend looked up and said proudly,  "I light up a whole room, too!"  
      My counselor friend looked surprised.  I have to admit I was too.  She chuckled and said, "You can?"  
     This precious little girl was standing there - tall and proud with that beautiful bright smile.  She looked at me and then I remembered.  It is exactly what I told her a day or two ago.  I quickly chimed in, "She certainly does!"   
     This cute little moment hit home to me.  It proved a point most of already know.  When we think about it, it is pretty important.          
      Our little camper remembered what I told her.  She believed it and she was doing her best to live up to it!!  Children hear what you say about them.  Not only do they hear it - they believe it. 
      If  you want to make a difference in a child's life -- if you want to make a difference in the world - tell a child something good about themselves.  They will believe it ... and try their best to live up to that goodness.  They will want to be the very thing you said they are.  
     We must be sincere when we do this.  I can assure I definitely was.  Children can detect a con job from a mile away.  Many of them seem to be experts at it. 
     See God says children are special.  The Holy Spirit inspired the Psalmist to write: "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord" (Psalm 127:3).  God loves little children.  He is the giver of life.  When the midwives, Shiphrah and Puah,  refused to murder Hebrew baby boys - God blessed them (Exodus 1). 
     Do you remember when the disciples rebuked the people when they brought children to Jesus?  Christ stopped them and said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 19:14).   
     God knows what we tell our children is important.  Why else did He tell the Israelites to be so earnest in teaching them about Him?  If we want good children, we must tell them they are good.  We must expect them to be so.  
     I know children misbehave.  I'm not saying we shouldn't discipline them when it is needed.  I am saying we should never tell them they are stupid or worthless or mean.  
     Let's love our children.  Tell them they make us happy.  Let them know they are a great blessing to others and you hope they always will be.  
     Pray for them - in front of them.  Children will know they are valued if they hear their name brought  before the Heavenly Father.  Tell them they not only light up a room; they light up your whole life -- and they will!!
     
Christ above all things, 
Robin 


   

      

No comments:

Post a Comment