Sunday, January 27, 2019

Lunch at Hardee's

      After worship this morning, Robert and I went to Hardee's for lunch.  It wasn't busy there at all.  In fact there was just one man by himself and one other family in the restaurant. 
     The family consisted of a little boy who was about 3 or 4 and his grandparents - "Me-maw" and "P-paw."  The little boy was cheerful and quite talkative as some children can be.  Most of us have known a child like that.  
     I couldn't see any of what was going on with that young man because we sat on opposite sides of the partial wall that separated the dining area.  But I was thankful I could hear at least part of what was going on.  
    He had a lively conversation with one of the employees.  He must have been hungry too because he asked her "just how hard are they working on my hamburger back there?"  I smiled as I listened.  He really wasn't complaining.  He just seemed to be curious about how much longer it was going to be before he got his food.  
      He got his lunch and so did we.  At some point though, the little boy went to the restroom with his grandmother.  He ran back to the table and announced, "I'm back P-paw, did you miss me?"  
     Granddad did not answer immediately, because he asked again.  "P-paw.  P-paw I'm back, did you miss me?"  For a split second, I was afraid the child would not be answered.   Then heard a man's voice - "Yes sir!  I sure did miss you."  
I breathed a huge sigh of relief!
    Don't you see how important that question was?  It was a question of love.  In the mind of that sweet little child, if his grandfather didn't miss him -- he didn't love him.  There is a great need within all of us, young or old, to be valued and loved.  

    
One thing we will never have to doubt is God's love for us.  He cares for us deeply.  He values us so much He sent His own Son to save us from our sins.  
     We can always know God misses us when we aren't with Him.  So many verses confirm this truth!  Perhaps one of the most touching affirmations of this is the story Jesus told in Luke 15:11 -32.  It is the story or parable of the prodigal and a lot of us have heard it many times.  
      So much can be gleaned from this lesson.  It is one of my favorite parables.  It is one I love to read over and over again!  What gets to me the most about this lesson is God misses us!   When we are not walking with Him, He really truly misses us.  
      All we have to do is read the passage and see the Father's reaction when the son comes home.  "And he arose and came to his father.  But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him"  (Luke 15:20 ESV).  What a beautiful affirmation of the father's love!
    Have you ever thought about why the father saw him from so far away?  Could it be he was watching? I know the scripture doesn't specifically say that - yet I can't help but think he watched and waited for the son he loved to come back home.  He missed his son!  The father longed for the son to want to be with him.  
     I am so thankful Jesus gave us this story!  It gives us a beautiful illustration of the Father's love.  The prodigal didn't have to ask his dad if he was missed.  The father showed him that the second he started running toward him.  How marvelous is that!?  
     Please never doubt the Father's love. He wants us to be with Him - to live with Him in our lives.  He misses us when we don't.  He misses us and waits eagerly to see if we will come back home.  If we do - if we change our worldly ways and turn back to Him, then He celebrates with us!!  
      Do we miss Him, though?  Do we understand, as the straying son came to understand, we need Him in our lives? 
Do we pray?  Do we talk to Him and tell Him all about our needs?  Do we cast our cares on Him as Peter tells us in 
1 Peter 5:7?   
     It is a lot to think about I know.  Putting God first is not easy.  Speaking up for what is right takes courage.  Taking your child to Bible class instead of ball practice might raise eyebrows.  Being kind to your neighbor -- smiling at the cashier when she is tired and grouchy -- may take a little extra effort.  
     These are things God would have us do.  These are the things Christ taught us to do.  Living like Jesus takes diligence.  It takes love and hard work.  But if we do this, the peace which passes understanding will be ours.  
     When we make an effort to bring God back into our lives, the Father will show Himself to us.  Our blessings will overflow.  It will be like God is saying, "I'm back, my child. Did you miss me?" 

Christ above all things, 

Robin 

    


     

       
      








No comments:

Post a Comment