Saturday, January 12, 2019

A Dance at Cracker Barrel

     She was only 5 or 6 years old.  Her long slightly curly hair fell down her back almost to her waist.  It was the prettiest color -- a very light brown with just a hint of red that shone under the dim lights of the Cracker Barrel store.  I was so glad she caught my eye!
      Music was playing as a number of people waited for their names to be called to go into the restaurant.  I wish I could remember the song.  My memory has failed me there.  I've tried to pull it back up into my brain, but it continues to elude me.  
      She was already holding one of her Dad's hands when the song began.  She turned to him, reached for his other hand and began to sway back and forth in time to the music.  She was dancing with her Dad! They must have danced together before because she seemed to know exactly what to do.  
      I was entranced just watching her.  She smiled and gazed up at him with love and adoration. She was so caught up in the joy of her moment, I couldn't help but notice.  
      Then I looked at Daddy.  He was hand in hand with his daughter and danced with her.  Oh, he looked down at her and smiled every few seconds, but he wasn't focused entirely on her.  
       I wondered what he might be thinking about. The little girl was having so much fun, she didn't even seem to notice her Dad was a little distracted.  He was dancing with her when some dads might not even do that.  But he was the one missing out.  
     I so badly wanted to go tell him that.  I wanted to let him know how blessed he was.  He needed to understand what a gift this moment was.  "Please pay attention, Daddy!  You have no idea how quickly time flies or how many other times you may be granted opportunities like this.  A time may come when your little girl will not even want to dance with you anymore!"  
      So many thoughts raced through my mind! We often forget to be thankful for the special moments God gives us. We forget to treasure them in our hearts. We miss so much living (and joy) by allowing ourselves to be distracted.  
      God gives us these moments to be enjoyed.  He gave us our families.  He wants us to live happy and full lives. Try to build memories while you can.  Make sure your loved ones have good times to look back on. 
      Sometimes we don't realize how special the moment is while we are in it  - how much it may mean to us later.  I am so thankful God gave us good minds, so we can store away precious memories.  What a comfort to our hearts years later!!   Memories can hold such happiness.  
     Not only does God want us to enjoy the good times in our lives.... the fun times we have with our families and friends ... He also wants us to love Him as the little girl in Cracker Barrel clearly loves her father.  Our Heavenly Father longs to be with us.  He wants us to reach out for Him as she reached for her daddy.  
     Reaching out for God and holding on to Him definitely has its rewards.  God gives us hope and comfort throughout our lives.  If we strive to be with Him, if we reach out to Him, He will be there for us.  
     Consider Psalm 73:23-24: "Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory."   I want to be received into glory, don't you?  
     Another beautiful verse is found in Isaiah 42:13: 
"For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, 'Fear not, I am the one who helps you."  We know when God holds our hand we have his full attention.  We never have to doubt that.  If we reach out for Him and follow His commandments, He will be there for us.  
     
     Ecclesiastes 3:1-8  lists all kinds of times we go through in our lives.  Some are happy - times we wish would last forever.  Others are not.  Verse 4 specifically says there is a time to dance. 
    I loved watching the dance in Cracker Barrel.  I hope she has many more dances in her lifetime.  I hope you do too.  Just remember it is God who gives the dance.  Be thankful!

Christ above all things,
Robin Whitley 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment