Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Lion in the Back Yard


A couple of weeks ago during Bible study on Wednesday night; I had another wonderful discussion with the little three year old boy in my class. He is a very smart and imaginative young fellow.  He really keeps me on my toes.  I probably learn more from him than he does from me!
I was going through a flip chart with the class and singing the song along with it.  The chart and song were both about all the things that God made.  One chart (or page) has a picture of all sorts of animals on it.  Among these animals is a lion. 
As we finished the song, he asked me if I had ever seen a lion.  I said, “Yes, I have seen lions before – at zoos and circuses.” 
“Well I have seen one too.  A lion came up in our back    yard,” he replied.
“Really? In your back yard?  Are you sure?”
“He sure did!  And Daddy got his gun and shot it. 
Then he took it to the dumpster.” 
My little student always tells me these fantastic stories with the straightest of faces.  He never cracks a smile.  Except for the fact that they are so outlandish, one can never tell from his behavior that he is making his stories up.  He can be so earnest and convincing in his story telling!  I don’t call him out on it though.  I treat his conversation as literally as he treats it.  Oh, I do question him, such as I did above; but I go along with the story as if it were for real. 
“So a lion came up in your yard and your Daddy shot it?”
“Yes,” he said.  “He sure did.”
“Well, what color was this lion?” 
“It was yellow and pink.  And it was very big.”
“Oh, my!”
Then he said, “But you don’t have to talk to Daddy about it though cause he doesn't know it happened.”
“Wait a minute, sweetie.  I thought you said your Dad was the one that shot the lion.”
Without skipping a beat he said, “Oh he is; but he won’t remember so just don’t talk to him about it.”  
Well, I didn't talk to his dad about it, but I could not resist telling his aunt the story.  She laughed and said that he keeps them all entertained.  She was quite amused by her nephew’s tales. He is definitely a smart young man!   
As I have said many times before, I do love my 2 and 3 year old students!  They challenge me and uplift me at the same time.  We never have a dull class.  Something new happens every week.  Their little minds are like sponges.  They can learn just about anything at this age.  We have to be so very careful in what we say and what we do around young children.  Influence is powerful.  We must make sure we are a good influence, because believe me, these little ones don’t miss a thing! 
       Let’s go back though, to the lion in the back yard.  We can make several spiritual applications to my student’s wild story.  The Bible refers to the devil as our enemy.  Peter compares him to a roaring lion that goes about seeking whom he may devour. (I Peter 5:8)  The devil may be closer than you think.  He could be in your very own back yard!  He probably sneaked in when you weren't watching too closely.  He lurks there in your back yard – waiting and hoping for you to fall, so he can pounce on you right then and there. 
Please be careful!  Remember that when the devil has tempted you with one little thing and you yield; it won’t be very long until he completely overtakes you. That is why we must always be alert and diligent.  We must pray for protection from the enemy and thank God when He gives us the victory! 
Think about this, too.  Who was my little friend’s protector in this story?  Who shot the lion down?  His daddy did!  Our Heavenly Father stands on call 24 hours a day every day.  He is always with us and He also waits in the backyard.  He waits for you to call for Him.  Our God is more powerful than the devil ever thought about being!  Trust Him to shoot the devil down and take him to the dumpster for you.  He can help you with whatever the devil has placed in your yard. 
My little student did not want me to talk to his daddy about the lion.  I suppose he thought he would have been in trouble. Maybe he just didn't want me to find out he had made it all up.  I am not sure what his motives were; but our Heavenly Father knows anyway. 
God already knows what is on your mind.  He knows what you need before you even ask.  You can talk to Him before, during, and after your backyard encounter with the destroyer. God will never forget!  Through Christ, God understands what we go through.  We can always talk to Him about it.  And we can definitely count on Him being there for us.  Our God is faithful to those who are faithful to Him.
So the next time that old roaring lion sneaks up on you remember your Heavenly Father can and will shoot him down.  God has the power to help us defeat our adversary the devil.  One day He will cast him into the dumpster once and for all!  The Bible teaches that he will be cast into outer darkness.  However, we must go to our Father and ask for help.  He waits for us to ask.  We can go to Him anytime we need Him.  He will remember us.  God will send His Spirit to work within us and give us enough power to overcome the temptations. Just like my student’s dad was his protector; so our Father will be our protector.  What a mighty and awesome one He is!
Christ above all things,
Robin 

No comments:

Post a Comment