Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Talking With Our Father

        Whew!  It is has been several days since my last post; but it certainly feels good to be able to sit and write tonight! 
        Prayer is an awesome benefit of being a Christian!  I cannot tell you what a blessing it has been in my life.  I notice that the stronger my prayer life is - the more diligently I give attention to prayer and the stronger my faith becomes.  Yet sometimes I still forget to pray.  The devil wins on those days.  I try my best not to let him win very often. 
       Prayer is one of the building blocks for Christian growth.  I once saw a sign on the outside of a church building that said "Prayer is the exercise, faith is the muscle."  I have shared that with others and may have already used it in a 1 or 2 of my posts.  Think about that phrase for a minute, though.  It is so true, isn't it?  Do you get it?  The more often we pray, the closer we grow to God.  The more fervently we pray, the more effect our prayers have.  The more we see our prayers answered, the more value we place on prayer.  The more value we place on prayer -- the more we realize that our prayers are working --AND the more we realize our prayers are working - the stronger our faith grows!  Whew!  How great is that?
      I have the honor of being part of a prayer group.  We meet once a week.  I have friends in other towns who participate in prayer groups and I have heard them attest to the benefit of praying with others.  It is an honor to be able to come to our Heavenly Father in prayer. 
Being part of a group who prays together adds another dimension to this blessing and honor.
      As part of this band of Christian sisters, we share with one another.  We trust each other and depend on each other.  And we pray together.  I love my prayer sisters.  Such a strong bond is  built between people who pour their hearts out to one another and then pray together over heartaches, trials, temptations and yes the all the joy our special blessings bring too.  Honestly, I do not think I knew the true meaning of "Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those weep" until I became a part of this prayer group!  
      These women are such a big part of my life now. They have helped me grow and mature as a Christian.  Praying together builds a strong bond between fellow Christians.  The first century Christians prayed together.  In Acts 2:42 - Luke says "they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and ....and in prayers."   This habit of praying together is recorded in Acts 1 before the church was established.  Chapter 1:14 says, "These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren."  
A third example of Christians gathering for the purpose of prayer is found in Acts 12:12.  Peter has just been released from prison by the angel of the Lord.  The scriptures says, "And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary, the mother of John whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying."
       Yes, we are commanded to pray; but communicating with our God is so much more than obeying a command!  It is the way we actually talk to our Heavenly Father.  We can tell Him what's on our hearts.   Amazingly, He listens.  He loves us so much -- so very much!
        Have you ever thought about why God listens to us?  It is because we have obeyed His Son.  It is because we are in Christ.  He is the door of the sheepfold.  We knew His voice and answered His call and went through the door.  We have learned that His great love caused Him to lay down His life for us.  And we have loved him enough to obey His commandments.  He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.  He is the only we can get to God and we have followed Him, obeyed Him, had our sins washed away and become His.  So we are able to come to the Father through Jesus Christ our Savior.  And when we talk to our God, Jesus is there too -- and He is telling God - she is one of mine, Father.  She has obeyed my voice.  I am her Shepherd.  Hear her prayers.  She is your child! 
        I know many of you value prayer as much as I do.  I know you have seen many prayers answered.   So have I.  It is wonderful and amazing to watch God work, isn't it?  Sometimes we see His plan unfold right before our very eyes.  That is when we are sure He has heard our pleas.  That is when our faith muscles get a little stronger. 
        You don't have to be part of a prayer group to experience this joy.  Individual prayers have great affect too.  I know that.  Families that pray together are prayer groups.  Parents, remind your children when prayers are answered.  Praying with someone is one way to help comfort and encourage them.  If they know you care enough to go to God on their behalf right there in front of them, it can be a wonderful source of comfort for them.  And you will be rewarded also.  Maybe you are the one that needs someone to pray with you.  Reach out - seek comfort from those Christians around you.  Christians are God loving people who love God's people.  Draw strength from their petitions for you or with you. 
      It is important to go to God on our own.  I think He likes His one on one time with His children.  We must seek Him out as individuals.  I know we have to do that in order to get to know our Father.  Group prayer does not take the place of praying alone, but adds to it.  Don't let the devil win.  Don't forget to pray. 
     God loves to hear from us.  We are His children.  All God wants is to spend time with those who are His.  He wants to be with us.  But we have to want it too.  So He and His precious Son wait for us -- and you know how good we feel when several of our family members are all together at one time?  We are sharing with one another, catching up with each other -- loving each other.  You know how happy that makes us feel.  Then is it too outrageous to think that God is also pleased when several of His children come together to talk to Him? 
        
      Talk to your Heavenly Father today.  He will be glad you did .... and so will you!

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment