Thursday, August 29, 2013

He Has Overcome the World

     I almost didn't write tonight.  As a matter of fact, I was headed to the bedroom to go to sleep and changed my mind.  So here I am.  My mind has been spinning in circles.  My thoughts seem to be constantly in motion as they jump from one subject to another.  As I did this, certain scriptures came to mind. 
      Earlier today I reminded a friend of promises found in God's word.  I often go to these passages for comfort and strength.  They build my faith and give me hope.  They also help me understand the deep love the Father has for us.  God has given us even the air we breathe.  We owe all to Him.  God loves the whole world.  He created it and set it in motion.  He is always in control.  
      We have reason to rejoice because we choose to follow Christ our Savior.  His Father - our Father - has given Him all power and He reigns in heaven now.  What a beautiful, wonderful thought! I love to read from the gospel of John.  So many beautiful passages can be found in that book.  I love to read Jesus' promise of going to prepare a mansion for us in John 14:1-3.  I love to see the promise of the peace He leaves with us in verse 27 of that same chapter.
      On the days, I get discouraged or feel beaten down by the world, I turn to John 16:33 - "These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me you might have peace.  In the world, you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."  Just reading these words brings a smile to my face!
       Yes, the world is going to give us all kinds of heartache.  We will be hurt - people will let us down.  We will let ourselves down. That is a fact.  Life is going to happen.  But we have a precious promise from the one who shed His blood for us.  We have the promise that He has overcome the world!!!  It is in Him and through Him that we will have the victory!!
       After I read those verses earlier this afternoon, I began to think about the unconditional love Jesus has for all of us.  Oh how beautiful the gift forgiveness is!  No wonder the gospel is called the good news!  We can be washed in His precious blood and be made as clean and white as snow.  God loves even me!  
     I used to think I could never be good enough for God to love me.  I thought I had lived such a rotten life there was no possible way He would want me in His family.  It took me a long time to understand I was forgiven.  God did that for me.  He did it for all of us! 
      Jesus told us in John 3:17 (and in other passages) that He came to seek and save the lost.  If Christ Himself tells us that He came to save the lost and if He tells me that He has overcome the world, and if the Bible teaches that God has given Him all power over heaven and earth, then I think He is powerful enough to wash away even my sins. 
      I can read about the riches of His grace and mercy and how God loved us while we were yet sinners.  When I see how much love Christ displayed to His own after the resurrection, loving and forgiving - not just Peter who denied Him three times - but all of them because they all fled from Him except John.  It is then that I understand that God could and does want me in His family too. 
      I am so thankful for His great love and mercy.  I am so happy that I obeyed His commandments and that I follow Him.  He has forgiven me, washed me and made me white as snow.  And in John 14:1-3, He promises to come again and receive those who love Him -- He will receive them to Himself.  How wonderful is that????

In thanking Him for His great love -- please remember..

Christ above all things,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment