Friday, March 22, 2024

The Class Officer

Living right next door to my parents has always been a blessing to me.  I wouldn’t change it for the world!  Of course, the added benefit is that I always got to see my brothers and their families when they came to visit Mom and Dad – especially around the holidays. 

On one such occasion when everyone was “home” I had a great conversation with my youngest nephew, Will.  I think he was in fourth grade at the time.  He had been elected as an officer in his class. 

He talked about his campaign and the new ideas he wanted to put into practice for the students.  Will is a smart guy, and I loved hearing him talk about his election.  I could tell he had put a lot of thought into his campaign. 

Will was not bragging about himself.  I had to pull just about everything out of him.  I was careful to ask questions that required more than a yes or no answer. I wanted to hear what he had to say regarding the whole process. 

This was not something Will was doing just for the fun of it.  He wanted to be a good officer and represent his class well. 

His mother sat across the room listening to us talk.  I saw her smile occasionally.  She seemed pleased that Will took it all so seriously. 

I think we would all be so much better off if we took the role of being a Christian as seriously as Will took his duties as class officer.  Being a citizen in the kingdom of God is important.  Each of us has a job to do. 

As Paul wrote in Romans 12:4-5 “For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.”

Note that Paul said we do not have the same function.  But we all have a function - a job to do.  It is different for each of us.  God’s work requires many people working together. 

One member may be an observer who notices when someone needs extra encouragement.  Others may have a great gift with young children.  Some are talented in helping the elderly and sick in the nursing homes or hospitals. 

Let’s never underestimate our worth or the power of our influence.  As Paul said, we are all members one of another.  We should strive to represent our Savior well.

Just as Will understood the seriousness of taking on his duties as class officer, we should be serious about taking on the duties of serving Christ. 

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10).

Christ above all things - Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment