Thursday, February 1, 2024

Elbow Grease

Hello everyone, 

It been over a week since my last post.  I apologize for that.  Going forward, I plan to post at least once a week.  

Our children may take some of the lessons we teach them and pass them down to their children.   The lesson may go on even further down the line.  That is why I have heard the term "elbow grease."

I was born on my maternal grandfather’s birthday and though he never made any difference between any of his grandchildren, I felt honored to share that day with him.  Grandpa was an honorable man. 

He was a shoe cobbler.  Grandpa learned this trade from his father who had learned it from his father before him.  I’m not sure how many generations of Marlowe men were skilled in this trade, but it went back at least to these three men.  By the time their grandchildren came along, my grandparents owned a shoe repair business in Virginia. 

We lived in Mississippi, so we usually only got to see them for about a week during the summer.  I loved to visit their shop.  The mixture of old leather and the oil used on the machines gave the senses a unique experience.  Everything about the shop was fascinating to me and my brothers. 

Mom told us many times that when Grandpa showed her or her siblings  how to do some kind of chore he would say, “Put a little elbow grease into it.”  Meaning work a little harder.  Put honest effort into what you are doing.   Grandpa was never lackadaisical about his work and he didn’t want anyone else to be either. 

He passed that on to Mom.  She taught us to do our best too.  Mom still says, “Anything worth doing is worth doing right.”  If we do our work right the first time we don’t have to worry about doing it again. 

Colossians 3:17 is a great verse.  I think it shows us why it is so important to do the best we can.  And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” 

When we work enthusiastically – and do things the right way we honor Christ our Savior and sometimes we have to use a little elbow grease to get it done. 

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”  1 Cor. 10:31

Christ above all things – Robin Whitley

No comments:

Post a Comment