Monday, January 8, 2024

Where Are My Instruments?

Dad was a preacher for quite a few years.  Part of this devotional is paraphrased from one of his sermons.  I remember him telling a story that touched my heart.  It is kind of sad, but it made an excellent point – one that I should remind myself of more often.

Many years ago, there was a train wreck.  Several passengers were on board and some of them were injured.  People rushed to the wreckage to see what they could do to help.  One man was found pacing up and down beside the train.  He was apparently dazed.

One lady heard him muttering to himself.  “My instruments.  My instruments.  If I only had my instruments, I could help.  Where are my instruments?” 

He kept saying the same thing repeatedly.  The lady stopped him.  “Excuse me, sir.  Why are you talking about your instruments?  What is so important about them?”

The man stopped his pacing to look at the lady.  “I am a doctor,” he explained sadly.  I was on the train, but I lost my instruments when we wrecked.  If I only had them, I could help the people who are hurt.”

Dad went on to say, “I wonder if God ever looks down from heaven and asks, ‘Where are My instruments?” ` yourself.’  There is no other commandment greater than these” (Mark 12:31).

As always, Christ sets the example for us.  He told the apostles, “Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:28).

Finally, our brother Paul wrote in Romans 6:13 “Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.

I don’t want to be missing when God looks for me to help, do you? 

Christ above all things - Robin

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful and memorable analogy, presenting a lesson that should be applied in our lives today!

    ReplyDelete