Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Feet and Toes - Toes and Feet

Mrs. Mary was the sitter for me and my brothers when we were younger.  Oh what a treasure she was!  She was so much fun to be around!  All of the kids in the neighborhood loved her!  At some point during the day most of us ended up at our house to play. 

One afternoon a lot of our friends were with us in our carport.  Mrs. Mary was there too.  It was summertime, so we were all barefooted.  She started looking around at all of us with no shoes. 

Then she said something about someone’s feet.  It was something like that person was going to be tall and strong when they grew up.  Oh we were all so surprised!  How did she know that? 

One of us asked her if she could “tell our fortunes” by looking at our feet and toes.  “Sure I can!” she said.  All of us at one time began to plead, “Tell my fortune, Mrs. Mary. Tell mine next!”  She had us – hook, line, and sinker!

Mrs. Mary did not stop until she got around to all of us.  She was smart too.  She managed to make everyone’s “fortune” just a little bit different.  How she kept up with all of it, I’ll never know.  But I think  Mrs. Mary had as much fun with it as we did. 

I have many sweet memories of her and when I think of her now, I think of the things she taught me.  I never even realized it at the time, but that is exactly what she was doing. 

One thing she taught me was not to take myself too seriously.  It is not all about me.  Mrs. Mary certainly never thought it was all about her. 

Another lesson was patience.  I don’t think I ever saw Mrs. Mary lose her cool with us even one time.  Whether it was just me and my brothers or six or eight more kids too – she always kept her patience.

Mrs. Mary showed me time spent with children is especially precious.  That sweet lady loved us.  I know because of the way she treated us.  And for children, being loved is everything!

Jesus knew how precious children are.  One of the rare times Jesus got upset with the apostles was when they tried to keep the children from coming to Him (Mark 10:13-16). 

Mrs. Mary knew it was important to have a little fun in life.  “A merry heart does good like medicine” (Proverbs 17:22a).  It is so important to relax and enjoy a laugh or two. 

Mrs. Mary made others feel special.  Each story was  different – unique to the person.  All of us felt important that day –because one woman took the time to look at our toes and our feet. 

When we give freely and joyfully from our heart – it comes back to us over and over again.    

Christ above all things - Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment