Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Hey Watch This!


Hey Watch This!

Counselors of younger campers will often hear this during swim time.  They love to show off their skills at the pool.  We hear “Hey, watch this” or “Watch me” several times in that hour! 

One day at the pool I watched kids go down the slide, turn flips under water, and jump in from the side.  My eyes were challenged when one of my campers and a young “pre-camper” who came to the pool with his grandmother asked me to watch them at the same time. 

I did the best I could and managed to be watching at those critical moments when they looked at me for their encouragement.  I was happy to give it to both children.  But it was the little boy who seemed to thrive on the cheers and thumbs up he received. 

The funny thing to me was that I didn’t even know the little boy that well.  I am always happy to encourage a child.  They love to be noticed and encouraged – bragged on even.  It is totally natural and there is nothing wrong with it at all.  For adults to recognize their accomplishments is a big deal. 

What joy we create in a young child’s heart when we give them love and attention!  But this is true of adults too.  We need to be recognized and valued – appreciated for what we do.   I’ve written about this topic before, but I strongly believe in the ministry of encouragement.  Each of us have an amazing potential to do good in this world!

Encouragement saves souls.  I say this for two reasons.  The first reason is because the Bible tells us this.  Parakaleo is the Greek word for encouragement.  Part of the definition for this word also includes to exhort- comfort- strengthen – teach or instruct. 

Acts 14:22 is an excellent example- strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, ‘It is through many tribulations that we must enter the kingdom of God.”

The second reason I say encouragement saves souls is because I was the recipient of encouragement which brought me back to God.  I believe many souls either kept the faith or come back to the faith because they were encouraged to do so.  It shows we love the souls for others.

God loves us so much; but sometimes we need one of God’s people to remind us of this.  We need encouragement occasionally.  Like the little boy in the pool who said “Hey, watch this!” we all need to be seen.  When someone cheers for us, we are strengthened.  We are lifted up and we get the feeling we really can run this Christian race. 

Let’s encourage one another to keep on going.  We can all get to heaven together!

Christ above all things - Robin

      

No comments:

Post a Comment